Using Hanna Phosphorus ULR to Determine Active Carbon Replacement

labas39

So, I had another idea to use the Hanna Phosphorus Ultra Low Range Colorimeter for a different purpose than it was intended for. This time, I wanted to see if my water has a yellow pigment.

I started with a vile of saltwater using RO/DI water then testing it against a vile from the tank.

My thought was that if there was a number, my water was tinted and I should replace my activated carbon.

Well, it was 0 but I'll try that again in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Bommie

Funny, I just tried this last week. For the same idea. But I ran carbon for 24hrs in my tank then tested the water. I could physically see a difference that after running the carbon the water looked allot cleaner. But it made no difference in the test results.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

labas39

Funny, I just tried this last week. For the same idea. But I ran carbon for 24hrs in my tank then tested the water. I could physically see a difference that after running the carbon the water looked allot cleaner. But it made no difference in the test results.

Yes, coincidental!

So you didn't get a chance to test before you ran the carbon and afterwards the results were 0?

Bommie

I got the same results before and after. (.06ppm). I really thought it was gonna make a difference. I had done another test on murky water (added more sand) and I got 128 ppm. I had a feeling it was the murky water so I didn't panic. After a water change I tested again and sure enough the ppm had gone down. For the test/idea you have in mind the par meter might be your best bet.