Using zip ties

Siebo

Premium member
When using zip ties to hold your rock structure together, has anyone had them break or know of them breaking after a couple years in the water? Would hate to have things collapse after a few years growing out.

Yes they do break after a while, they become brittle. The trick to this is to insert encrusting montis where 2 piece meet. When the monti. grows this will form permanent bond

lunacris

ive used them and no issues . if you use the cheapo thin ones very possible depending on how you tie and weight of rocks . mine have been in tank for maybe 8 months ? . previously used them for longer than that and no issues .

Siebo

Premium member
As I am thinking of a new tank I am looking at using tonga branch to create suspended rock structure over one half of the tank. One big piece of tonga as the back bone with smaller pieces coming off. This way there would be no rock touching the sand on half the tank.

Also where can I get a big 3ft piece of tonga.

cet98

I would think that if you bound the pieces of LR together with ties and epoxy putty, you would be more than secure for the long run....

Siebo

Premium member
I would think that if you bound the pieces of LR together with ties and epoxy putty, you would be more than secure for the long run....
That is what I was thinking too, then started second guessing myself. Lol

Do not use white zip ties they will become brittle and break. Try the black zip ties they are outdoor rated and weather and uv Resistant

lunacris

Oh crap luna u better swap yours out
we shall see over time , rated for 50lb and 185° temp rating should last a while . and i didnt use just one to secure the rocks . drilled multiple holes in tonga to secure them .