UV setups

Spartanman22

I'm considering adding a UV sterilizer to my system, but have no prior experience with one. Any insight? Recommended brands, do's/don'ts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

I saw that I'll watch it during lunch. When setup properly they don't seem to do anything but good things. It obviously won't solve my crypt problem but should help with other water born nasties

I have a giant 55w pond UV sterilizer bazooka. I originally got it to fight dinos and it did a good job. I kept it on for over a year after being dino-free and turned it off to see if there would be any difference. Honestly, I can't say there is. I don't see any more or less algae or more or less fish getting ich. I'm keeping it off for now because it raised my water temp by 1-2 degrees being on all the time and i think it helped in eradicating all traces of amphipods from my system. I would always find amphipods in the outlets and I figured their dwindling population was caused by the UV hindering their reproduction. Didn't really do anything to benthic copepods or other life, just the palegic types that will swim in the water column and get caught in the pump.

So I'm not really sure if it helps or not. It definitely did help with dinos but once I got rid of those I'm not sure it helps with anything else.

Also, depending on what you're doing, the two most important factors when getting a UV is getting one that is the right size for whatever it is you are trying to do as well as getting a pump with flow that is slow enough for longer exposure to the UV. You're not going to do anything with those mini/compact UV toys that they sell for cheap. I basically just use an MJ1200 for my 55w which is approx. 300gph.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=440

View attachment 17265

Last edited:

Spartanman22

I have a giant 55w pond UV sterilizer bazooka. I originally got it to fight dinos and it did a good job. I kept it on for over a year after being dino-free and turned it off to see if there would be any difference. Honestly, I can't say there is. I don't see any more or less algae or more or less fish getting ich. I'm keeping it off for now because it raised my water temp by 1-2 degrees being on all the time and i think it helped in eradicating all traces of amphipods from my system. I would always find amphipods in the outlets and I figured their dwindling population was caused by the UV hindering their reproduction. Didn't really do anything to benthic copepods or other life, just the palegic types that will swim in the water column and get caught in the pump.

So I'm not really sure if it helps or not. It definitely did help with dinos but once I got rid of those I'm not sure it helps with anything else.

Also, depending on what you're doing, the two most important factors when getting a UV is getting one that is the right size for whatever it is you are trying to do as well as getting a pump with flow that is slow enough for longer exposure to the UV. You're not going to do anything with those mini/compact UV toys that they sell for cheap. I basically just use an MJ1200 for my 55w which is approx. 300gph.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=440

View attachment 17265
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure yet whether it's worth it or not. I've never ran one in any of my tanks ever. So I'm not sure the benefits are going to be that noticeable.

madjoe

Premium member
I ran one for yrs i never went with big ones . Its really what u wAnt it to do if its a fowlr u can run bigger with slower flow kills everything which isnt good in a reef i ran smaller with higher flow to polish the water dosent do much for alage on the rocks definitly makes water more clear. Wont kill all the ich if u get it but will keep numbers down and give u a better chance of fighting it . Thats just what ive saw from my using right now i run a 18w only at night cause it did raise temp during day but at night no other lights on so my temp stays stabile and still polishes the water prtty good

Spartanman22

Are the coralife units any good? Would a 12 watt be too small? From what I read I think a 25 watt unit would be the appropriate size

Crued

IMHO, you can't go too big on UV, but you can go too small. The other important consideration is proper flow. Certain flow rates will kill certain things and miss others. Target what you want and set it best you can per mfgr guildelines.