Vacation

york3rdbase

Premium member
How do you prep your tank for going on vacation, besides having everything automated. I left for 5 days, and tank was gross when I got home. Algae everywhere, skimmer stopped skimming, fish pushed some frags around and covered up other corals, etc.

jrpark22000

Premium member
For me, it takes making sure I know the tank. I'll watch it very closely for a week or more before any trip. Tuning the skimmer back so it'll fill up about the time I'll get home. Setting the autofeeders to cover for the extra food needed and doing a WC a couple days before to make sure nutrients are in check. then it's just waiting until I get home to see what if anything decided to go rouge. Automation with a controller helps, but an IP camera viewing the tank gives the biggest piece of min IMO.

#theMatrix

An old android phone and being able to port out of your network makes for an easy IP camera.

I have one set on my tank. But what josh said is on point with the top off filled and extra container helps.
I have the aqualifter with a split tube on two 5gal containers for when one gets low

But thinking back now that ive moved the tank to its new permanent location
I will be running a tube line from the aqualifter to the 50gal RO in the basement. Ill test it on a weekend to see how it pans out

Thanks for the idea

pscheel

Cut down your light period to help with algae growth. I usually just run them for 2 hours and when I get back no algae whatsoever on the glass and the corals don't seem to mind. I am usually gone for about a week.