Wanted: Bumble Bee (Striped Harlequin) Shrimp pair

cet98

anyone know of any local stores that currently have any Bumble Bee Shrimp on hand?
I am done with seeing these Asterina starfish all over my glass everyday and don't want the traditional (and prettier) Harlequin Shrimp since it exclusively eats stars whereas the Bumble Bee will also eat mysis or other frozen meaty foods.

thanks... ;)

Jep21

Im interested to knw also.. Would like a pair in my frag tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irsug1

Premium member
I looked these up and it appears that the bee only eats the feet of starfish. Whereas the harlequin eats the entire starfish.

cet98

I read the same Ira. that is a good point but considering these stars are so small, I would rather give the BB a shot in lieu of a Harlequin purely based on the fact that the BB will not starve to death after the stars are decimated...

cet98

GOT ONE!!!.......

$10 at..........

wait for it..........

AA in Hoffman Estates.......dugh!!!!! :p

ultimatemj

OOOH, I want one! Only seen 5 or 6 asterinas, but figure they are like mice and roaches (see 1 = 100 more you dpn't)!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Yeah, please keep us posted. I'd really like to know how well he does. Even if he only eats their feet, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard for them to survive with no feet!

cet98

Thanks guys....and thanks Madman...we are both really perdy...lol

I will def keep you all posted on it's status and how effective it is on the stars....and I agree Eric, that's my theory too...:p

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks guys....and thanks Madman...we are both really perdy...lol

I will def keep you all posted on it's status and how effective it is on the stars....and I agree Eric, that's my theory too...:p
Lol perdy ugly that is. Weird lookung thing good luck id would of just got a harliquin my self but eh

cet98

Lol perdy ugly that is. Weird lookung thing good luck id would of just got a harliquin my self but eh
meh....I was thinking of a Harlequin but then I'd have to either always buy it stars or re-home it....at least this one will eat mysis ;)

cet98

well....not much of an update, but.....

hadn't seen the little bugger in a few days and thought maybe it had died....hadn't seen much in the way of declining starfish numbers either :(

but....today the lil bastard showed it's mug...lol

now....start eating those star legs dangit!!!!!!

cet98

They eat the legs of stars but also meaty frozen food like mysis which is why I chose him/her over a Harlequin....

cet98

update:

okay...well, it's been three weeks since I introduced my little Bumble Bee Shrimp friend to my nano tank.
So far, though I have not actually seen him eat one, it appears that the overall number of Asterina stars looks to be on the decline and I've seen one or two "leggless" bodies recently :)

chillin' in the macro...waiting for it's next victim.....mmmmmuuuuhahahahahaha.....