Water changes

m.miller1547

Does anybody here do 100% changes. I started this recently and I'm loving the outcome. I remove a full gallon with siphon then fill back up. Then I remove 4 gallons. I've figured my exact water volume at 5.5 gallons. So its more like 80%, but still. I don't check ph, but temp and salinity are spot on. My corals are open and looking good in a matter of minutes. I've found that when I do such a high percentage I get little growth spurt. Obviously this is associated with reef crystals and it notoriously high alk. Oh. This only takes me 5 minutes. I gotta learn how to not frag my sps with siphon tube. I was doing a 1-2 gallons twice a week with ato and a drain in back, but it doesn't do the job. Removing the detritus is very important.

Has any body here used a spray bottle to spot treat ha and bryopsis with 100% peroxide? Yes I said bryopsis. I'm picking up a bottle of Kent m very soon.

Herbie

Banned
http://www.aquacave.com/Kent-Marine-Tech-M-Magnesium-Additive-P105.aspx
can't beat the 64oz size.

When I was in full battle against the B I dipped several different things in various peroxide solutions with great effect. Xenia and other euphylia don't do well in peroxide because they slime like a mo fo after you do it, but everything else I tried was fine with even 50:50. I don't think you need more than a 1:10 to kille macro though. The peroxide will kill every flora including coraline and when I treated anything with 100% it just died and bleached to an unnatural white everywhere the peroxide touched.
Aside from the peroxide i found that consistent dosing with Kent M (not other mags I tried) broke the B down to a weakness that more CUC coule eat it (try a lettuce slug at that point). Good luck brother.

m.miller1547

I'm not tin. I havnt had much of a problem yet. At same time. The pieces I have now have likely adapted to ever changing nano tank environment. 100% reason why I havnt dropped serious money on le or mini colonies. This tank is getting taken down soon anyways. Upgrading to a jbj 30. Much less waterchanges and better stability. I had high hopes for this tank, but the acrylic is all scratched from my son and the teeth for the overflow suck at skimming surface. I'm over it. Bigger and better things to come.

m.miller1547

http://www.aquacave.com/Kent-Marine-Tech-M-Magnesium-Additive-P105.aspx
can't beat the 64oz size.

When I was in full battle against the B I dipped several different things in various peroxide solutions with great effect. Xenia and other euphylia don't do well in peroxide because they slime like a mo fo after you do it, but everything else I tried was fine with even 50:50. I don't think you need more than a 1:10 to kille macro though. The peroxide will kill every flora including coraline and when I treated anything with 100% it just died and bleached to an unnatural white everywhere the peroxide touched.
Aside from the peroxide i found that consistent dosing with Kent M (not other mags I tried) broke the B down to a weakness that more CUC coule eat it (try a lettuce slug at that point). Good luck brother.
Thanks Nate. I don't have any on the rocks. Its on a few plugs. I've dipped in peroxide, but it still bounces back. I'm gonna start Kent m after tank upgrade in a week or so. Idk y its taken me so long to pick a bottle up. Peroxide works wonders, but I'm afraid to dip sps. I have a nice bn that is covered in ha from day one. It hasn't spread. Knock knock.

jm23

I have a brand new bottle of Kent M that I don't need anymore if you wanted it cheap. I also had bryopsis when I first started my tank and used the Kent M. It worked great and I haven't had it since. The only thing I noticed were the skirts on some zoas appeared to bleach, but I later realized it was probably due to low Alk. The zoas were fine and colored back up a few weeks later. Let me know about the Kent via PM.