water changes

SkullV

Thats a pretty broad topic. I've run tanks where I changed 10% weekly and some where I changed 10% monthly (or less). What kind of tank are you going for (SPS, LPS, Mixed, FOWLR, etc.).

Eechandy

It all depends. Good way to get a schedule is to keep a log chart of your parameters. I have noticed that weekly 5-10% water changes keeps my parameter where I want without much fluctuation.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I do about 20% monthly. I'd do a bigger change, but I'm limited by the size of my brute can (45 gal). Seems to work and sps seems happy. I think the biopellsts help keep things clean. I also gravel ac my substrate about 3 times per month using the filter sock in the sump trick.

Jaymefishguy

Just a quick question how much water do most people change weekly or biweekly
I do 3.5% twice a week. If you devise an efficient way to do a WC, it should only take a matter of minutes. I have my ATO float switch switch to my fresh saltwater and it replaces the exact amount of water I removed. Then I just switch it back to my RO once it's done. Go to Autotopoff.com for the float switch, two Aqua lifters, an extension chord and two outlet manual switches from amazon. I also plumbed a extra hose from my overflow with a valve so I can open it into my waste water bucket and presto... No need to siphon. Hope this helps!

jm23

Two factors to take into consideration:

Are you dosing?
What are your means of nutrient export?

Water changes are still good no matter what type of dosing or nutrient export you do, but depending on your methods depends on your need for water changes. Figure out your tank and its needs. Watch your levels: Alk, Cal, Mag, Phosphate, Nitrates, and any other levels you want to test for. Tailor your water changes to keep these levels were you need them to be. The reason water changes are still good no matter what is that our salt mixes contain things that we don't normally test for or have means of replenishing other than a water change.

DB9181

I do about 20% monthly. I'd do a bigger change, but I'm limited by the size of my brute can (45 gal). Seems to work and sps seems happy. I think the biopellsts help keep things clean. I also gravel ac my substrate about 3 times per month using the filter sock in the sump trick.
Filter sock sump trick? I believe I know what you're talking about but others might not - can you explain?

SkullV

Filter sock sump trick? I believe I know what you're talking about but others might not - can you explain?
Siphon display tank into sump through a filter sock. I do it as well. Great way to get rid of detritus in the sand without actually removing any water. If you get the organic matter out before it dissolves it can't turn into algae food.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Siphon display tank into sump through a filter sock. I do it as well. Great way to get rid of detritus in the sand without actually removing any water. If you get the organic matter out before it dissolves it can't turn into algae food.
Exactly! Matt from Sho Tank recommended it on here months ago and I've been doing it ever since. It's really easy to do and it doesn't make a mess.

Tesla969

Great idea! I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks for the tip.