Wear gloves when you put your hands in tank

Never put your hands in your saltwater reef tank without gloves. Just got back from 6 hours at the emergency room, now I am waiting for the vicodin to kick in so my hand will stop throbbing. This morning I felt a slight pain and thought a bristle worm had caught me...by four I had a spot the size of a golf ball swollen and bright red so I went to prompt care...spent an hour there only to be sent to the emergency room. Got lucky the doctor on call was a toxicologist and knew what to do. Said in five days I should be much better. Lesson learned and I think this time I will remember it. - Carl, a little wiser.

Tethered_Limbs

ouch, i wear gloves wen im going into bristle territory. lesson learned tho. were you allergic? cuz if it was that kind of reaction it might have been somethin crazy like a fireworm

ColaAddict

If you are working with anything that stings (snakes, anemones, corals, venomous fish/worms) you should have benadryl in your house....just in case.

BADGUS

Ouch,i've been stung before,but just get irritated a bit and not much more.Sorry to hear that,you're allergic for sure.

nyckeeandnate6

What kind of gloves do you guys use? I never wear gloves because the gloves that come up high on your arms (the yellow ones) are made of latex and I am allergic to latex.

Renegade Reefer

Man that sucks to hear hope you recover ok, I had that happen a few years ago when I was picking up some rock out of my old 125 and had noticed about 30 or 40 needles sticking out of my thumb, didn't think much about and pulled out all the needles of what I could see, well needless to say thier must have been a couple deeper that I didn't see and the skin had healed, a week or so later the skin started to split back open to push those needle out itself, and Im telling you that was one of the most painful experiences I suffered on my hand.
NOW I don't even think about picking up anything in the tank without gloves.

Smith11

Feel better, ive been taking every bristle worm i see out just in case theyre baby fire worms, im gonna wait to set up a refuge and then stick em all in there