Weight of an aquarium...

jcarlilesiu

I have offered up advice on a couple of other forums regarding the weight of larger aquariums. I am an Architect, and am happy to evaluate peoples independent circumstances if they have any question as to the ability of the structure to support the tank.

I will say upfront that I offer this help and opinion without warrant, expressed or otherwise, and that I am NOT responsible should your floor come crashing down. Unless you want to pay my fees to audit the condition, you don't get to sue me.

With that being said, large tanks can weigh more than a family automobile. For that reason, if you have any concern over the weight, feel free to tell me about the situation and post some pictures. Ill see if I can offer any advice.

Pufferpunk

Very cool, thanks for the offer! I'm lucky to have married a "construction" man, who puts floor joists under all my larger tanks, no matter what. He's still positive my entire fishroom will wind up in the basement some day...

jcarlilesiu

Very cool, thanks for the offer! I'm lucky to have married a "construction" man, who puts floor joists under all my larger tanks, no matter what. He's still positive my entire fishroom will wind up in the basement some day...
That would not be a good thing!

imbuggin

so how crazy was I to have my 300 gallon on the second floor of my townhouse for 13 years?

Once the floor dropped 1-2 inches (7 years or so)I re-enforced the floors with a 1 1/2 foot wide beam.

I never slept well in that place. Glad its in the basement now!

jcarlilesiu

so how crazy was I to have my 300 gallon on the second floor of my townhouse for 13 years?

Once the floor dropped 1-2 inches (7 years or so)I re-enforced the floors with a 1 1/2 foot wide beam.

The floor "dropped" 1 to 2 inches? You mean in the middle, or along a load bearing wall adjacent to the floor?

You could have done permanent damage!

SaylorsReef

Hmm, how crazy? On a scale of 1 - 10, I give you a 9.9999. :rofl:

imbuggin

I noticed the floor seemed low for the trim on the floor. In further looking the floor had dropped 1-2 inches over the years. When they re-enforced the floor they jacked it back up and put in a huge beam. It was right by a loan bearing wall. It was pretty scary.

If I did do real damage, its not my problem anymore I sold the place ;). Oh yeah I am sure all the spills and leaks of saltwater over the years helped keep everything strong ;)

mr_z

wow 300 gl on a second floor is alot. im scared to have my 30 gallon on the second floor and its still there lol.