Weird temp readings

anarchy

Okay so a couple weeks ago my apex was showing that my tank temp was dropping to 76.5 each night. My heaters were atleast 2 years old so i figured it was time to replace anyway. I bought 2 eheim jager 300w and replaced the old heaters. Everything was fine for a couple days but now the same thing is happening with the new heaters. I highly doubt 2 300w heaters cant handle the 160g water volume.

My temp normally sits between 78-78.3

Any ideas? Maybe time for a new temp probe?

Also i cleaned the old heaters and tested them and they still work just fine

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

chewal

Premium member
Okay so a couple weeks ago my apex was showing that my tank temp was dropping to 76.5 each night. My heaters were atleast 2 years old so i figured it was time to replace anyway. I bought 2 eheim jager 300w and replaced the old heaters. Everything was fine for a couple days but now the same thing is happening with the new heaters. I highly doubt 2 300w heaters cant handle the 160g water volume.

My temp normally sits between 78-78.3

Any ideas? Maybe time for a new temp probe?

Also i cleaned the old heaters and tested them and they still work just fine

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago found out there was a update for the apex Did the update and no more problems

jrpark22000

Premium member
Agreed, probe values making sudden drops are a bad sign. They can also lead to software crashes and the apex resetting. I've had plenty of talks with neptune tech support on resets and probe readings are always one of their questions. I'd atleast try a power reset of the apex leaving it unplugged for 30sec-1min. Dependign on your Firmware an update would do similar but get you additional bug fixes.

#theMatrix

Not apex related but similar.

Ive not figured out best place for probe/heater in sump chambers. At 1st the heaters were in the overflow return chamber where the water would be the coldest after travel from the DT. This left me with a 2degree difference from sump temp to DT temp. I then Placed the heaters in the return pump chamber to keep the temp going into DT same. But...with the water volume in the DT. The temp reads 1degree less at sandbed where with lights is 1 degree over probe temp.

So i decided to upgrade the pump to get more water circ from DT to sump ...allowing the water to cycle faster before the water drops temp.

For now the temp difference is around 1 degree. But its like i almost ahould place a heater in the DT somewhere.
And ill be placing the spare 300W heater in aswell.
Two 150w and a 300 as back up to keep temp from screwing around

anarchy

Good idea on the update. Ill have to hook my dinosaur up today and update the firmware

anarchy

Firmware updated to 4.40 ill let you know what happens with temp tonight

anarchy

Well temp still dropped lastnight but there was a basement window open all night thats about 20ft away from the tank

anarchy

Still dropping. 77.2 lastnight. Any thoughts? Feel like my heaters arent working at night

ultimatemj

First thought is light heat during the day...

Where is your temp sensor located?

Share your apex heater program

Do the heaters have built in thermostats? If so, what are they set on?

Any Hvac vents or Windows nears your tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anarchy

First thought is light heat during the day...

Where is your temp sensor located?

Share your apex heater program

Do the heaters have built in thermostats? If so, what are they set on?

Any Hvac vents or Windows nears your tanks?

Temp sensor is in the first chamber of my sump. Heaters are in the next chamber.

Both heaters have the same program

Yes they have built in thermostats. They were set on 81 but just changed it 5 minutes ago to 79

The furnace is about 8' infront of the tank and the closest window is about 20' away

#theMatrix

Again.
Something i found was that during the day when lights on. The DP is about half degree higher then sump set temp. Then at night. The DT is the same as the sump. This is with placing the heaters in the chanber before the return chamber. But i placed a temp sensor in all of my chambers and sump temp is the same in all chambers.

One thing i noticed though is....the lamp from my ats home depo clip lamp with cfl bulb also keeps the water warm somewhat enought to not make crazy temp changes at night.

I wish i could help more but i feel you should play with temp prob and heater placement.

It may not be the equipment it can be the end user....in my case it was. And after playing with placements has helped.

anarchy

Another thing ive noticed is sometimes my heaters dont come on and if i tap them then the light comes on and it starts heating

ultimatemj

Is that house temp always same or change in the evening?

Look top right, there is a compare pull down menu....I selected heater to display "ON/OFF" overlayed on the SUMP temp reading.

anarchy

Is that house temp always same or change in the evening?

Look top right, there is a compare pull down menu....I selected heater to display "ON/OFF" overlayed on the SUMP temp reading.
Its the same all the time

Ill look now

anarchy

Do you think because the heaters are on the sides of my sump they arent getting enough water contact? Or what

ultimatemj

Looks like your lights heat the tanks during the day...and the heaters are struggling to do enough at night. Could be too much flow rate and/or not enough wattage

Have you measured temp any other way?

Maybe move the temp sensor to a DT for a day?

Last edited: