Well Water????

skjohn98

I will be moving to a new house soon and will have well water, we have talked to companies about water softeners and filtration systems, I am wondering who out there might be using well water. I know most will be using lake Michigan water but that will not be an option for me. will an RO-DI system be enough with the water softener or will I need more
John

Irsug1

Premium member
I think it should be fine. You will probably go through the filters faster so monitor them often. I suggest using a whole house filter too.

cet98

you'll be fine with well water thru a RO/DI filter but you'll go through filter a bit sooner as Irsug1 mentioned...I highly recommend the use of a Booster pump if you can as it will increase your water production and increase the life of your RO membrane as well...

In the near future I will also be adding a whole house filter as well which will help but that's mainly because I hate the taste and the slimy feel of well water when you shower...but it's sure nice not having to pay for water anymore... lol

It depend on the water coming out of your well. Where i live we have a lot of iron in the water. The system i had for my fish room had 2 whole house filter as pre filters then a six stage ro/ di system with a booster pump. Had to change the filters and di every month. the system work fine but spent a lot of money on filters and di. The high iron in the water causes rusty water and then the rust builds up in the filters. Have a buddy of mine he has well water and does not use any filter at all. Straight from the well into his reef tank and he been doing it for years.

scottieson

I am on well water also, but have a simple sediment filter, then a water softener for the whole house. My RODI is after the softener and I am not changing out filters or resin that often. My water has high iron from the well, but the softener takes that way down. I did add a booster pump which makes a huge difference.

Buckeye Hydro

Saying you're using "well water" really doesn't mean much at all in terms of water quality. In some locations well water is great, in some, not so much.

The place to start is a suite of tests on your well water. Our's are done through a lab, and run $80. Includes about 44 analytes. This is what's needed before you invest in something running $500 to $1,000 (or more). Be scared of anyone that wants to sell you whole house water treatment equipment (e.g., a softener) without testing the water. And no, a test for water hardness is not sufficient.

In terms of water pressure, well pumps are typically controller by a pressure switch. They are usually set at 30/50 or 40/60 - meaning they turn the pump on when pressure in the well tank reaches 30 (or 40) psi, and they turn the pump off when the pressure in the tank reads 50 (or 60) psi. Both set points (the low pressure/turn on; and the high pressure/turn off) on the pressure switch are adjustable.

Russ