What are some of the more exotic coral frags and where do you get them

KiLaGo

I am relatively new at having a reef tank and I was wondering 1) what are some of the "must have" coral for a reef tank and 2) the best way to go about getting them.

I have spent a lot of time searching through forums and the internet and really haven't come up with a good way to acquire these at reasonable prices. For example, baycorals has some really cool chalices and zoas, such as the red/blue/purple hornets, rastas, halo's, candy apples and chalices like the flame thrower, planet earth, the king, but they seem to never have them in stock and you are waiting list, but their prices seem fairly reasonable. I have checked on EBAY and a number of coral websites, but a lot of times they will give their coral the same name but you can see differences in the pictures such as different skirts so you're not sure exactly what it is you are getting.

I have never been to a frag event or frag swap in Chicago. Are these good events to attend and how often are they held? Are these worthwhile going to?

Cubbies

It depends on what kind of coral you are going to be looking into. SPS, LPS, Softies etc. I would say SPS you can kinda of get or buy around with local reefers you would be surprised at what some of this guys/gals have. As for Lps I would say go for what you like. Imo I would say most definetely check out the swaps. There's alot of mixed emmotions about the swaps but I love them. You will definetely find good deals. There's one coming up in September. Sign up and become a CMAS member and you'll get very informative meetings and get into events such as the swap for FREE! Oh and Welcome btw!

ColaAddict

Youre in Great Lakes, you are close to alot of reefers favorite coral store Midwest Coral Farms. They have tons of frags and colonies. I highly recomend that store. Or check out other reefers on this site, a bunch of people are selling their frags.

FishBeard

Youre in Great Lakes, you are close to alot of reefers favorite coral store Midwest Coral Farms. They have tons of frags and colonies. I highly recomend that store. Or check out other reefers on this site, a bunch of people are selling their frags.
Definitely hit up Midwest, the biggest selection of corals on-hand I have seen anywhere. Prices are pretty darn good too. You can't beat local purchases. I'd try to steer clear of mail order, it's just a huge headache in my experience. Local reefers should also be able to help you out, there are quite a few basement frag shop locals in the area. Definitely sign up with CMAS. The membership pays itself off after one frag swap between admission and the free meal you get. Plus there are special events almost monthly at local fish stores with blowout prices and great raffle prizes to be won.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
MCF has really nice frags and swaps are awesome for finding cool stuff for less sometimes too. If you don't really care about finding inexpensive frags and just want exotic, brightly colored frags you could also try:
http://www.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/mobile/default.aspx#Home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cat, I think I met Jason at the March swap (and bought the best colored sunset monti I've EVER seen). Isn't he in Roselle?

Greg

There are tons and tons and tons of 'immitator' corals.
You have to be very careful where you buy them from. Do plenty of research on the coral and the reputation of the store. Many times you have to trace back the lineage of where they got it and confirm with the source that they really did sell the coral.

Some people sell corals under a certain name because they assume the person they got it from told the truth. Sometimes its not that they are purposely lying to you, but are just going with a lie they were told.

Lots of times, the immitators are still nice, but should never be passed off as the real thing.

Look up the sps IceFire Echinata. These days, pretty much any blue/white echinata gets the name icefire. Id say about 90% of frags of icefire are not the real icefire that is traced back to tyree or aquascene ( where tyree got his from). There are tons of white/blue echinatas imported that are 10 inches long. They are called icefire even though they are 100% different. The real icefire is really blue white and green.

Bottom line, if the seller cant confirm lineage (you have to confirm with the source still), its probably fake. Many times you pay more from a reputable dealer with a matching lineage.