what happen here

erok90

In a matter of hours went from tbe top pic to the bottom.the water is all cloudy.

The system is a cadlights 39 sig
Rio 2500 return
Mp10
Sca 301 skimmer
100w heater

Livestock
Yellow tang (no tang police required)
2 true percs
3 chromis

System is a month old. And before everyone says WHAT the water and rock are from a 2yr system.the only thing new other then fish is the sand.the temp had a little swing this morning but that's it.I can't tell if this is sediment from tbe sand being kicked up some how or if the return pump is f*ed.what do u guys think?

lunacris

did u use that sugar sand ? maybe your mp is creating a sand storm, if this is the case and uts happening underneath the mp, i think if u put the solid part of wet side facing down it may help ?

Eddie79

Premium member
My tank does that every once in a while and guys on the forum said it could be a clam or acans releasing stuff into the water. Just a thought.

erok90

did u use that sugar sand ? maybe your mp is creating a sand storm, if this is the case and uts happening underneath the mp, i think if u put the solid part of wet side facing down it may help ?
I am using Caribbean reef sand.ill look it that.

madjoe

Premium member
Only way i know is uv sterilizer there is other ways but other people gonna have ti chime in i never dealt with it my self only seen it few times. Im not sure id wc will help or hurt since usually cause by lack of good nitrifiying bacteria (bioballs live rock etc) . Maybe somebody can point u in right direction like said running uv works great and quick but not everyone has one laying around to toss on

ColaAddict

It's some kind of bacteria bloom. I would do a water change, just because your livestock are not going to like the ammonia. Your skimmer will eventually skim out all that bacteria, but make sure it's tuned in and skimming fine. You can use some Prime to help with ammonia until your bacteria population stabilizes and monitor your livestock for stress. You are going through a mini cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
It's some kind of bacteria bloom. I would do a water change, just because your livestock are not going to like the ammonia. Your skimmer will eventually skim out all that bacteria, but make sure it's tuned in and skimming fine. You can use some Prime to help with ammonia until your bacteria population stabilizes and monitor your livestock for stress. You are going through a mini cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea thats what i thought. Probably y that yellow tang so pale in color prime will help neutrilize the ammonia so tge fish dont get ammonia burns. Imo tank is very young nit enough rock even though it was cycled rock its not enough to keep up with the bioload right now. Thats just my opinnion tangs r a big bioload specially for a new tank with such little live rock filtration. Im not against tang being in there just think kinda early to have it in there

Eddie79

Premium member
I usually do two 20% water changes over two days and put in new carbon and things clear up by day 3. Good luck!