What happened to NewFish?

John Ostler

Gah. So it's been a while now (maybe a year?) but Newfish in Wicker Park shut down and I thought that the owner said he was going to continue on in tank maintenance and/or setup shop somewhere west of the west loop. Anybody know where he ended up? I did love that place. Great prices on frags to just about everything. I completely missed the going out of business sale which was a real bummer because he had that 500 gallon SPS tank in the middle of the store. I ended up getting a couple frags off the mother colonies a week or two before close, but missed the closing itself because it was so sudden. Anyway, yeah anyone with details?

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
I don't know where they went but I think they have been out of business for about a year now. It's too bad they did have that epic tank in the back, that thing was enormous!

jrpark22000

Premium member
When I last talked to James, I didn't get the feeling he'd be reopening. That was at the time of his closing door sale and havn't heard anything since.

york3rdbase

Premium member
I miss that place too. I️ live right around the corner from where it was and I️ would stop in once a week, even just to kill a half hour. Amazing prices on euphyllia, and overall a convenient spot for corals, salt, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinijoe

TeamCR
James is doing tank maintenance and has a few tanks running at his house. Don't think he's on CR but he's on the other chicago site if you want to reach him.

John Ostler

I miss that place too. I️ live right around the corner from where it was and I️ would stop in once a week, even just to kill a half hour. Amazing prices on euphyllia, and overall a convenient spot for corals, salt, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I often thought he underpriced his frags (except for that time he had a crazy hair algae explosion in his coral tanks).

Thanks for the deats! I cannot believe I missed his closing sale. I have a couple frags from his mother colonies off that beast tank. Still going strong.