What is Dino?

Chldshrbl

This might be a noob question. But what exactly is Dino and why is it so bad? Never had any but saw a few posts on it so I figured why not make a thread to educate other noobs like myself.

poidog

This is dino

It is a brown algae that is impossible to get rid of. You can tell the difference that it is dino because it will develop stringy bubbles. Don't confuse it with Cyano

or Diatoms.

SkullV

Is it truly impossible to get rid of?
Not impossible, but there is no surefire way to do it. Some raise pH to 8.8, some go lights out, some NEVER do water changes until it is gone, some break down their tanks and replace/dry out their rocks, and many just give up and leave the hobby. If I had it in my tank I wouldn't feel comfortable selling anyone a frag unless I did a complete break down and replaced all of the rock.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Not impossible, but there is no surefire way to do it. Some raise pH to 8.8, some go lights out, some NEVER do water changes until it is gone, some break down their tanks and replace/dry out their rocks, and many just give up and leave the hobby. If I had it in my tank I wouldn't feel comfortable selling anyone a frag unless I did a complete break down and replaced all of the rock.
Thanks,
I've never had it and hope I never do. Since it's algae, I'm guessing that dipping new coral in something like Coral Rx won't keep it out of your tank...?

SkullV

Thanks,
I've never had it and hope I never do. Since it's algae, I'm guessing that dipping new coral in something like Coral Rx won't keep it out of your tank...?
It's actually not an algea, it's a protist, but no conventional coral dips do not work. Spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide have been reported to have some effects.

Cubbies

Actually I dip my corals in a tank water/hp mix for a few minutes. It is safe on the corals just don't leave in too long. Oh and another thing is it's NOT sps safe.