What kind of coral QT do you do.

bretts05jeep

I am getting close to the point where water is going into my new tank. I want to set up some kind of coral QT and am curious what people are using and for how long.

The big things I want to avoid is AFEW, red bugs, and monti nudiebranch. It is my understanding that dips don't work on AFEW and red bug eggs. I was think that I will set up two tanks, probably 20 gallon. Dip new coral put it in one tank for x amount of time. Dip again put it into main tank. Hoping this will allow time for eggs to hatch and be killed in second dip.

ultimatemj

Most folks don't have the patience, time, or discipline to do it....even though it is clearly in your best interest to do so....especially if you will have more than $$$ invested in your display system.

The work is notable, in that (it seems) you have to run 2 "mature" systems to make it work...otherwise you risk SPS not liking an uncycled "fresh QT". And once you have 2 mature tanks it is hard to resist keeping one "uncomplicated" and ready for quarantining whenever you find your next beauty.

Good luck!

bretts05jeep

Is there anyone actually doing this? I have had AFEW in the past and red bugs. They never caused me any real problems, things still kept growing and had good color. About a year and a half I accidently left a dosing pump on and dumped a whole gallon of soda ash in my tank and wiped out all the acros and inverts died. Most of my other coral and all my fish survived. I have not even seen an aiptasia in my tank since then. And there have been no additions to this tank. My plan for these corals before I move them to the big tank is to just give them a dip than set up a system for quarantine.

wrasse

I would inspect any new corals. Get a good idea what eggs look like. Don't put anything in your tank that you may have a doubt about. In my experience QT without the proper set up hurst: , time effort, money, just as much as it saves.

wrasse

I would dip everything.
Get from a good source. If the seller has a problem with pests you may inherit them.
With SPS try to get rid of the frag disk and just keep the coral.