What reef related stuff did you get for Christmas?

enzo1028

Premium member
I got a gift card for Aqua Pros from my girlfriend's mom. Their family knows me too well :)

I used the gift card to pick up a Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse, an awesome Acan frag, and some supplies!

dgagvgeg

My wife got me some NYOS test kits, Calcium, Nitrate, KH, and Mag....too bad i put them on the list lol

98silverado

Don't mind the algae. But I got this guy, a sea hare, gfo, food and some snails.....oh and permission to go bigger WOO HOO

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

enzo1028

Premium member

Don't mind the algae. But I got this guy, a sea hare, gfo, food and some snails.....oh and permission to go bigger WOO HOO

Permission to go bigger is one of the best gifts you can get lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98silverado

Permission to go bigger is one of the best gifts you can get lol

Couldn't agree more. I was given a size limit but I can deal with it. I can go bigger then a 75 but I was thinking a very well planned out 40

#theMatrix

I still havent gotten the approval to add a solar panel...for the aquarium. But ive gotten approval for a gas gene.....to run the aquarium incase of a power loss.

Havent had any power loses in 5yrs weve been here. But theres suposed to be a storm today that may affect power lines.

Hope it doesn't happen and i have time to search out a gene.

☆gene=generator

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Gift card to AP!! Already spent it.. bought a Yellow Eye kole tang, leopard Wrasse, and RODI filters. In laws know what I like!!

1fishjones

Premium member
Harbor Freight tools has a
2 cycle 900/peak 700/running watt sport generator on sale now for $119.99.
A battery backup is nice to have in order to keep our pumps running but won't help with heat. Ideally we would all have whole home generators, unfortunately they're so expensive most of us don't or probably won't ever have one. A good backup battery can be had for around the same price as the aforementioned sport generator, if we combine the two, for around $250 we can have the same protection afforded by the whole home generator that cost closer to $12,000.

Check out this review for a few tweaks.

I purchased this Harbor Freight Storm Cat 900 Peak / 800 Running Watts 2 HP 63 cc 2 cycle generator just this week for less than half price on a special red tag sale from Harbor Freight. I've had one before, and there are some changes to note. My new generator is item number 69381. To all appearances it is identical to the red tank Storm Cat 900 / 800 2 cycle generator I purchased eighteen months ago, but it is not.

Now, I unpacked the new generator and noted that the overall build quality does seem to be somewhat improved since I last bought one. Everything necessary was included in the box, and everything was packed in a styrofoam fitted box liner that is very protective. This is a good thing, since I selected mine from a stack of six, and this was the ONLY one in the stack that had no damage whatsoever to the packing box.

The first visual clue that this generator is an updated model is immediately apparent. It now comes from the factory with a number of warning decals installed on the gas tank and elsewhere that the older one did not have. These serve to remind the owner to protect his warranty by using the proper fuel/oil mix, etc. These are not all the differences, however.

Most internet reviews mention removing and locktiting a number of bolts using a ten millimeter wrench, but on this updated model you must use an eight millimeter wrench. They also recommend removing the Bonan spark plug and replacing it with an Autolite 64, or an NGK BP5ES. This new model comes with an XIAHUI F7TC spark plug installed. This corresponds to an Autolite 62 or 63, or an NGK BP7ES. Evidently the upgraded model requires a different heat range plug. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but to all appearances the Xiahui plug I removed also appeared to be of good quality. I saved it for later use, just in case.

I made all the recommended adjustments detailed elsewhere in reviews on this generator, including removing and loctiting bolts, changing the spark plug, and adding a B&S type in-line fuel filter and better fuel line tubing. I will say that the gas line I removed did appear to be made of good quality rubber material, and I saved it for use later, just in case. Out of an excess of caution, I also drilled a pin-hole in the gas cap to prevent vacuum lock and fuel starvation as a few have reported having experienced.

BTW: The white foam air filter on this machine could use a serious upgrade. Something larger that actually fills the housing would be a good idea. I would also lightly oil the new foam filter to make it even more effective.

Moment of truth! I put fresh unleaded non-ethanol mix gasoline and 2 cycle oil in the tank (50:1 mix as recommended). I opened the fuel flow control valve, then pulled the starter cord several times with the switch set to OFF. I did this to put some fuel/oil into the piston in hopes of lubricating the first few engine strokes a bit. I set the choke, set the switch to RUN, and pulled the starter cord lightly one time. It fired right up and began to idle as I adjusted the choke setting back to off.

I let it idle for about ten minutes, and then connected a heavy-duty floor fan (set to high speed - about 250 running watts) to the output socket and switched it on. Instantly the somewhat rough idle smoothed out and the generator began to run evenly. I pointed the fan directly at the generator, positioned so it would both cool the motor and help to blow the exhaust away. It has been running now for a good hour without missing a single beat.

There are those who would tell you this generator isn't very loud at all, and it isn't. On the other hand, I would not be comfortable trying to hold a conversation with it nearby. The drone is apparent even inside my well-insulated house with double pane windows. The output is too small to use a 50-foot or 100 foot extension cord (IMHO) because of voltage drop. Ideally, the owner will create an open, but weather-proof, shelter for the generator that will serve to block direct noise and reflect it away from your location.

I just tested the generator output with my Kill-A-Watt digital meter. It says the little generator is putting out 130 volts (+/-). I measured my house wiring output with the Kill-A-Watt meter at 120 volts, so it is set accurately. I will leave the generator alone until it is well broken in and test it again. I believe voltage can be adjusted downward by adjusting the engine's running rpm with the carburetor. Still, it would be a good idea to keep that in mind as I make use of this generator in the near future.

To maintain the warranty, we are told to keep the electrical load down to no more than 600 watts for the first twenty-five hours. It may be that this is the more realistic running output rating of this very small generator (and not the 700 - 800 watts advertised) Either way, you can do a lot with 600 watts of power when you are a long way from the grid!

Overall, I believe the build quality is up. Only time will tell, but for light use, this generator appears to be about as good as it gets. It is easily portable at 38 dry pounds, and the stated fuel useage of about 1 gallon every five hours at half load is pretty economical. The price is right! I highly recommend it to anyone who can use it and maintain it as experience has taught us is necessary.

#theMatrix

Harbor freight was my 2nd option.... 1st option was a used one but my brother mentioned harbor freight and thats now become my 1st option. They at times have the 20 percent coupon and will be looking at the genes there. I was hoping to find one max at 2000 max. Peek at around 1700 to safely run the whole aquarium and not just the supply pump.

I dont own $500 dollar shrooms or designer corals. Ive been fune up to now losing a 20 dollar sps every time i try to keep one. But id hate to lose the whole aquarium in a power loss.

I have many questions about sps and RTN as i seen to get it every time. They say the change in etc etc. But seems the biggest change is when taking the frag out and dipping it...thats when i everything seems to go to sh!t. Recovery doesn't happen after the dip.

So i will search the board for corap dipping and read up.

I got my 80g rimless. I got it a couple weeks early but it was made very clear that it would be my xmas present, lol. My kids gave me money to get something for the tank, will probably get a skimmer.

labas39

Nothing but since one of my peristaltic pumps went out on Christmas, I guess I'm going to buy a new one. :(

1fishjones

Premium member
The Harbor Freight sale paper just came with the mail & that generators on the front page on sale for $98.88

#theMatrix

The Harbor Freight sale paper just came with the mail & that generators on the front page on sale for $98.88

Looking for ad right now. Also online ad. Yea. That ones up on sale.

Im looking at their 2000peek one for 350 with 20 percent off coupon totals 280plus tax. Thats around the price i was looking for a 2000 peek.

I posted an alert for slickdeals and earlier this month a nicer one went for 150. Im keeping the options open as i just had a power flicker turn everything off and back on

Last edited: