What salt do you use and why??

CasualREEFER

I've been outta the loop for a while now and have been buying saltwater from beyond the reef but after talking to the kid and testing the water they are giving me it comes out to 1.022-1.023 which is a little low and he also said the calcium is really high and I'd have to dose an alk buffer.... I used to use reef crystals and never had problems. Its a 6 gallon nano I really don't want a salt I need to add stuff to. I also need to get some test kits but that's besides the point. What salt do you use and why.

Ready......Set.......Go!

Thanks!!

SkullV

I use regular Instant Ocean. I have tried most of the boutique salts, the lab grade synthetic salts, etc. Nothing I have used is as consistently close to NSW levels as instant ocean. Makes it easy to keep things stable.

The reefer

I've been using salinity but I'm thinking about switching back to reef crystals. A lot of ppl try new salt and always end up back at reef crystals for some reason.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I've been using salinity but I'm thinking about switching back to reef crystals. A lot of ppl try new salt and always end up back at reef crystals for some reason.
ReefCrystals is cheap enough and works. It's hard to find a tank that has had a problem that can be directly linked to a failure in RC salt.All salts have their own negatives, but RC seems to have the easiest ones to deal with.

The reefer

ReefCrystals is cheap enough and works. It's hard to find a tank that has had a problem that can be directly linked to a failure in RC salt.All salts have their own negatives, but RC seems to have the easiest ones to deal with.

Yea I switched just to try it out really. But I'm not convinced salinity is better than reef crystals. It's more expensive to get me about the same results. There are also some ppl that get bad batches of salinity. So reef crystals seems more consistent also.

The reefer

Cause if it aint broke dont fix it

Ur right. I just got sucked into the salinity craze that happen a while ago. I'm actually just around 50gallons or so of salt left for wc's. So I will switch back. I never liked how cloudy the water from salinity was either.

AForys

I'm still fairly new to the hobby (about a year) but I think this would be based on what size tank, amount of coral and if you dose. some of the higher end salts have more trace elements. So, if you don't dose and have a smaller tank like 55 or less gal I would say shoot for higher grade salts.

Reef Crystals on one tank and tropic marin on the other. Tropic marin mainly because it mixes fast and clean, aaand I don't pay for it on that one tank.

I've been using the Red Sea coral pro for the past 3 years and have been pretty happy with the results. The mixing is fast and clears up relatively fast without any leftover residue.

nailbender

i use seachem reef salt. Consistent results. $5 more than reef crystals [MENTION=1254]FOSTER[/MENTION] and smith for 200 gallons and no brown residew in my containers

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Salinity. Because I got my crap together with dosing and testing while I started using it and I don't want to veer from the success so far haha.

I'm sure other salts would do me right but I'm liking Salinity so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain

I used Reef crystal for about a year n half and I noticed I get a brown slime in my brute container and a strange smell. I also noticed that when mixing for 24hrs like it says to I was getting some strange bacteria growing on my sand and then would disappear within a day or so. After one time of letting the water mix for 48hrs ( got stuck at work on shift, I work 24 on 48 off unless OT then I work a 48hr) and I used the mix and I got a large bacteria bloom that covered my sand bed in a nasty stringy snot that was close looking to a cyno but didn't mind high flow. I vacuumed the sand bed and it came back, I went 3 days lights out that help a ton then I dosed hydrogen peroxide of .1ml/10g for 3 days. I then did a large water change and vacuums sand. I switch salts to Redsea Pro. and I never let my water mix longer than 3hrs