What salt do you use ?

tinman

Well i have seen tanks of many of the reefers here and all of them are beautiful
In their own way.

So now with my salt bucket comming to an end i am wondering what every one uses .. So kinda like a short survey...

1. What salt ?
2. Why ? ( if there is a reason ..)
3. Do you like amy other salt rhan the one you are using ? If yes why ?
4. What kind of corals ?
5. Idea of what alk, calc mag the salt mixes to ?

Sent from my iPhone

jayjerk

Premium member
1. Tropi Marin bio actif
2. Because I like it
3. Salinity was ok. Don't like milky residue
4. You already know...Stick head
5. Usually 415, 8.5, 1350

madjoe

Premium member
Reef crystals why because ive always used it lol never tried anything else not sure what it mixes to but i dose and i easly keep everything stabile so if it aint broke dont fix it i say oh yea and im a stick head to

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Reef Crystals:

It's cheap and I use a lot of salt. Also, I've never used anything else and don't see a reason to change it up.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Reef crystals why because ive always used it lol never tried anything else not sure what it mixes to but i dose and i easly keep everything stabile so if it aint broke dont fix it i say oh yea and im a stick head to
Wow, I didn't read your response before I typed mine. I could have just said, "what he said."

tinman

Instant Ocean Salt for me
Cheap
Tropic Marine and Salinity was ok. Too expensive
SPS and Softies (both)
Cal 420, Alk 8-9, Mag 1250-1350 (Dosing for softies tank and Calcium Reactor for SPS tank)

Check out these guy using IO salt. I hope my tank like them but never :(

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/25-tank-of-the-month

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/127-tank-of-the-month
Reef crystals or the regular instant ocean mai ? Even for the sps tank all the time ?

Sent from my iPhone

adam87

1. Kent Marine Reef Salt Mix
2. I like it and I like its low price
3. Did like RC
4. acans
5. I think its 480, 11, 1800 ????

DJE

1. What salt ? Reed Crystal
2. Why ? ( if there is a reason ..) It mixes easy for me when I do water changes. I rarely do them:)
3. Do you like any other salt than the one you are using ? If yes why ? I liked ESV but too expensive but mixed clear and was ready right away.
4. What kind of corals ? SPS
5. Idea of what alk, calc mag the salt mixes to ? Never checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimatemj

1. What salt ? Red Sea Coral Pro
2. Why ? Higher alk salt allows me to only supplement kalk in the ATO...no dosers :) I do a 10% WC every 2 to 3 wks and maintain my ALK in the high 7s dKH
View attachment 13465
3. Do you like amy other salt rhan the one you are using ? I liked IO (cheap and consistent), but as my tank demands grew I would need to have dosers to continue with it. Salinity was hit and miss...sometimes great, sometimes low alk and weird residue.
4. What kind of corals ? As mixed (LPS, SPS, NPS, & Softies) as I can get to survive together :)
5. Idea of what alk, calc mag the salt mixes to ? 10.5 to 11.5 ALK, 440 to 460 CAL, 1370 to 1400 MAG

Siebo

Premium member
1. Red Sea (regular)
2. One of the few salts that mix up with the ALK below 142ppm or 8.
3. RC - cheap and consistent
4. SPS
5. ALK was the driver here for me. Was between 7.5 and 8 mixed.

Sparky312

I switched from Reef Crystals to aquavitro Salinity largely on the recommendation of Dave and Mike at AquaPros and am really glad I did.

I have found the guaranteed values printed on the side of the bucket to be really accurate, at least for what I measure: Alk 10.5 Cal 400-440 Mag 1270-1400. It even lists all the trace elements, all the way down to Molybdenum and Rubidium which I have never heard of :)

A common knock you read against this salt is it mixes cloudy/residue. I dissolve it for 5 minutes in preheated water and then throw it in like the directions say -- no issues

I have mostly SPS -- not colonies like a lot of my fellow members but everything is doing good

My favorite thing about this salt is its actually CHEAPER than RC on a per gallon basis. Both say mix 1/2 cup per gallon, but to get to 1.026 you need more than that for RC and less for Salinity.

Cheaper, higher quality salt = WIN

labas39

1. What salt ? Kent Marine
2. Why ? After doing some research, it had the highest Potassium which I wanted to keep 400+ w/o dosing. Added benefit, it's cheap!
3. Do you like amy other salt rhan the one you are using ? If yes why ? No
4. What kind of corals ? Mostly acropra
5. Idea of what alk, calc mag the salt mixes to ? Check out this page: That Pet Place Salt Mix Guide