what size tank is considered nano?

Smitty

Premium member
Anything smaller than the 5 oceans and 7 seas is considered a nano tank...hahaha j/k
I would have thought 29gal and below would be considered nano size.

scotty

30 and down with the under 10 crew the "nobility" of nanos. A lot of 40 breeders consider themselves and are pretty popular.

P.Olsen

Under 15 gallons in my opinion. 29's, 20's have been around forever and were never considered nano. 10 gal were never widely used in SW but 20's and 29's were/are.

mr_z

yeah now you see peope doing like 2.5 gallon nano reefs theres this one amazing one on 3reef if i can find it it looks amazing.

misenplace101

I have been under the impression that 29 and under is a nano and and under 10 would be a pico. Have anyone seen the 12 gallon long (36"x9x8) by mr.aqua?

scotty

lots of cool rich people plumb their whole house and have all the noisy stuff in the basement, and just have the tanks upstairs. i think your just running 2 tanks smartly. haha.

mr_z

If I'm not mistaken, those are now called picos
lol thanks brenda. they are considered picos. i was thinking of doing one with just a few corals, pistol shrimp and yellow watchmen goby but i can just imagine how hard it would probably be. and im still not very knowledgable at this.

SaylorsReef

lol thanks brenda. they are considered picos. i was thinking of doing one with just a few corals, pistol shrimp and yellow watchmen goby but i can just imagine how hard it would probably be. and im still not very knowledgable at this.

I've considered trying one now that LEDs are becoming popular, but haven't had the time yet. I also haven't found the perfect tank yet.

PaPaBear

Last I heard under 30 was a Nano and under 10 was a Pico.
As I've moved most everything out of my 10 think I'll use it as my "Learn to Frag" tank