What to do

gji

So here is my dilemma, I started saltwater hobby back in 1998, I was successful in maintaining a FOWLR tank until i got out in 2005. Now that my kids are off to college, it leaves me with more time. Hence, the reason to jump back into the hobby. I would love to set up this tank without wasting any equipment that i don't have to. so tell me what i can still use or re-purpose and what has advanced and needs to be replaced.
MY SET UP:
180 gallon reef ready clarity plus acrylic aquarium, oak stand and canopy
lighting: ice cap 430 VHO retro kit(bought this brand new before I got out and never set up or used) I have the bulbs for them also
filtration: 200gallon rated wet/dry
aqua C 150 protein skimmer
jaeger 300 watt heater
2 RIO's 3100
150 pounds of live rock that is now dry
substrate is crushed coral

all advice would greatly be appreciated.

jrpark22000

Premium member
What goal do you have for the new tank? Fowlr, softie, sps, mixed?

The rios, LR and jagers are still good today. The skimmer takes quite a bit of power to get less results than many of the newer cone skimmer designs. Wet/dry are still in use for many fowlr but do little for coral tanks nitrates. I'm a bare bottom guy so have no experience with crushed coral.

You're likely good to redo a fowlr as you stand, but a coral tank might be tough with the gear you have today.

madjoe

Premium member
Well i somewhat agree with josh to a point i think with what u have u can run a nice softie reef although will be wasting electricity with the skimmer and lights i ran vhos on a softie tank and ran great

gji

was thinking about eventually doing a mixed reef, but start out with softies. what is the bulb life span of t5?

rockhead

and can i use the ice cap ballast on the t5's and just buy t5 end caps?
Yes I believe so, I ran the 660 I think it was that powered 6 t5 for me , it should have a wire diagram on it to show how to wire it up or search the web.

Tom

gji

Screw it I'm gonna run my vho until I can't get bulbs. I will supplement with LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gji

Smitty, did you get your 93 cube set up yet? Your brother in blue was eyeing that up, lol

Smitty

Premium member
Smitty, did you get your 93 cube set up yet? Your brother in blue was eyeing that up, lol

Nope, it's not setup yet. Still grabbing all the equipment for it, just slowly going about doing so. Still deciding how I'm gonna set the sump and fuge up too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gji

Let me know if your gonna get rid of your 60, I might be interested