What to use?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
What is everyone using to paint the back of tanks? Was thinking window tint but wanted to see other options.

jm23

Spray paint. Just make sure you tape off and cover everything else. I did 4 light coats and it worked great. I also blacked out my overflows on the side but put a strip of painters tape so I could see into the overflow when needed.

SkullV

I always used Behr paint/primer outdoor with a roller. A couple coats and it's good to go. Always went on pretty thick too since no one would see the back of the tank so drip marks didn't matter. Didn't have to do any tape prep that way too.

You can get it in Home Depot in a tester size for $2. Plenty to do any common tank back.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Great tips everyone!!

Will the paint be easier to remove vs spray paint? But I will sure remember to clean the back with alcohol

SkullV

Probably a bit easier but honestly thinner and a razor either way. Just don't use krylon fusion if you are interested in taking it off later. It'll come off, but not happily!

I just used rustoleum blue spray paint. Did about 4 thin coats and you can't see through it. Wish I would have done a darker blue though, but it still looks good.

catalano

I did the same as skullv for my first tank. 2 dollar sample of paint and primer then put black silicone on the outside upper brace where the paint wouldn't stick. Used krylon for my 2nd build doing a thin coats and that also worked great. I recommend using a flat finish.

gfd71

Dam noobs! Research!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Isn't this research? Asking others for help. What's the point of the forum if we're going to bash others for asking. Yeah he could look through all the threads but maybe this is easier

Regardless I used cheap latex paint just make sure you allow enough time for each coat to dry. Flat paint is best since it's usually cheaper and has a glossy look inside the tank due to the glass

Joe5688

Corals look better against a black background then a purple

Joe5688

Paint it black and get a bunch of asterina stars lol. For the longest time I didn't have any but 1 or 2 on the glass and I would pick them off. Now I stopped they are everywhere lol. Hoping they clean my glass of coraline.