What type of algae and how to rid it

GugsJr

TeamCR
Cynao? If it is, is not algae bit a bacteria. You can use chemi clean. Or a 3 day lights out. If you go lights out you need to cover the whole tank so no type of light can get in.

bryman

Hard to tell from pic, but is it slimy or leafy? If slimy it's probably Cyano. You may want to blow it off the corals or it may kill them. Things to check: age of lights, high enough flow?, excess nutrients? Larger, frequent water changes 2x a week for a while may help. Suck out what you can as often as possible with a turkey baster.

Codeman28

No, not cyano..it's a kind of algae, it's leafy (bushy). I tried to pull some out tonight and it was hard to grab and remove. It's on a base rock, so I can't remove the rock to clean.

Codeman28

No, not cyano..it's a kind of algae, it's leafy (bushy). I tried to pull some out tonight and it was hard to grab and remove. It's on a base rock, so I can't remove the rock to clean.
Newer light (radion xr15 g4 pro) power head (mp-10q) feeding (recent ran out of food, so its been sparing)

bryman

Red dictyota? I had the green variety before and the only thing that would eat it was a rabbitfish.

Codeman28

My problem is my tank is only a 25 cube, so tangs and other fish of those sort wouldn't work for me.. looking at google more I'm thinking the algae is... RED OGO GRACILARIA PARVISPORA MACRO ALGAE or some variation of it.

madjoe

Premium member
My problem is my tank is only a 25 cube, so tangs and other fish of those sort wouldn't work for me.. looking at google more I'm thinking the algae is... RED OGO GRACILARIA PARVISPORA MACRO ALGAE or some variation of it.
Well then that sucks you can try a black out or try to starve it but without a tang or rabbit fish it will come back I don’t think a lawnmower blenny will eat it but u can try

bryman

That looks like something a cleanup crew of crabs / turbos will take out quickly. Or a lawnmower blenny, etc.