What would you do with $1300.00 as far as new setup

Trying to get my mind set on what I can do with 1300 to get a system up and running. Currently running a 12 gallon nano. Obviously too small already. Wife will allow me to get a tank if I get rid of the nano only one tank for our small house! Long story short what can I do with 1300 best bang for my buck? I really like shallow tanks and will have access to tons of dead LR. What would you recommend equipment wise and setup wise? Also I have no knowledge of building a stand either and plumbing but will learn on the way.

Joe5688

Plumbing is easy and most people on here can help u.

for $1300 u can piece together a hell of a used setup. Id recommend 75g+. I love the size of mine.

Slowly build it and keep finding deals on the forums. U can get a badass set up.

rosko23

i will be selling my 48x24x12 acrylic frag tank with stand in about 3 weeks. if interested PM me

Plumbing is easy and most people on here can help u.

for $1300 u can piece together a hell of a used setup. Id recommend 75g+. I love the size of mine.

Slowly build it and keep finding deals on the forums. U can get a badass set up.

Yeah a lot of really good used stuff here on the forums haven't seen a complete setup yet

kratos1028

Suliaman on RC is selling his 8' 150g tank setup for a really good price. Its a complete setup as a recall.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
$1300.... Hummmm! To me that will just get me my 120gal tank/stand (used), skimmer (new) and lights (used or new). Maybe a new return pump....

Now a 75gal.. I can do some damage with used and new equipment :D This will be self automated as much as possible..

Just keep watching the sale threads and take it slow ;) Rushing into things will drive you crazy at the end.. Believe me!!!!

Get an idea on size that you will be happy with and I can give u some ideas if needed.

capysolo

DIY whatever you can to save some $. If you find a great tank with no stand, build it.

Try to find deals where you can, collect for a while, finding rock/sand, equipment, etc from people on here and on CL or Ebay.

Get the biggest tank that your budget and wife will allow. Corner tanks are great, you can make a really great looking setup and save some space.

yogoshio

Used and more used. Lights are cheap new these days thanks to ebay.

150 tank/stand on CL for $150-$200.

Skimmer $150-$200 used on here or elsewhere.

Sump $80 for a 40 breeder and acrylic.

Lights are about $300-$500 depending on what style/size, etc.

That leaves $320 for livestock, rock, and sand, based on the high estimates.

Herbie

Banned
45 cube. perfect tank. (IMHO) 5 gallon wc every week super easy. Get 2 10g sumps (cheapest possible solution for that). With a tank at 24" you can use just one light (coralcompulsion 120w full spec). Check my build thread, get excited :) AND you can carry it by yourself if needed.

$1300.... Hummmm! To me that will just get me my 120gal tank/stand (used), skimmer (new) and lights (used or new). Maybe a new return pump....

Now a 75gal.. I can do some damage with used and new equipment :D This will be self automated as much as possible..

Just keep watching the sale threads and take it slow ;) Rushing into things will drive you crazy at the end.. Believe me!!!!

Get an idea on size that you will be happy with and I can give u some ideas if needed.
I was thinking a 75 would be amazing all use but in good condition may just work I like shallow reef tanks to me they give you a ton of room and good swimming distance for fish I believe I may only keep clowns in the tank. Maybe a six line.

AquaPros has the DeepBlue shallow reef tanks for sale so I may stop by and take a look at those.

DD

"Rambo"
Aquapros has the really nice frag tanks for sale. Check out deepblueprofessional.com for their catalogue. I really like those frag tanks. They come reef ready and you would just need to build/buy a stand and sump, etc.

frostyjay1

Personally I think that a 75 gallon is the perfect starting platform. it has length and depth, plus they are easy to find. Most of all they are fairly easy to learn with. If you have a small system, 1 issue can become a disaster. in too large of a system, you need to think about water changes and cost of up keep. the 75 gallon hits right in the middle. if you watch your parameters, you can usually catch a problem before it becomes terrible. the equiptment need to run a 75 is more common to find and a lot less expensive then a huge system. You say you may want to keep just clowns, but the more time you spend in the fish stores the more you are going to change your mind. What ever way you decide to go, best of luck. Anything you need we are here for you (except for more money).

Aquapros has the really nice frag tanks for sale. Check out deepblueprofessional.com for their catalogue. I really like those frag tanks. They come reef ready and you would just need to build/buy a stand and sump, etc.

This is my first choice I'm going to visit them today actually and get to see the tanks in person finally. I also will end up paying someone to build my stand since the last one I built failed was not leveled and do not have tools to build it. As far ask sump goes I could pay someone to build one for me but not sure if I should do that or buy a used one.