What would you do?

SMACKERS4

So, I will be moving to a new residence by the end of the month. I have a lightly stocked 65g tank. There are 2 clowns, a Small Blue Tang, and a Royal Gramma. i have 2 pep shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, and about 30-40 hermit crabs. I also have about 20-ish frags and mini colonies of coral in it, mostly frags. I have 3-4 tanks im not using (at the moment) at my disposal such as a 16g nuvo with adequate reef lighting/filtration, a 12g mainland eclipse w/ filtration suitable for fish only, a 7.5 g cube, and possible a 20g tall and an aqua clear HOB filter.

Im currently damn near infested with red planaria flat worms. i have been battling the diatoms from hell for about 4 months and they dont seem to be letting up. (mostly on the sand and glass) rocks seem to be clear of it. I have a brand new bag of reef flakes ill be putting to use in the 65g once set back up.

WHATS A GOOD PLAN OF ATTACK/ THE RIGHT THING TO DO?

My possible goals, get rid of flat worms, put new sand in 65g, NOT transfer diatom algae into 65g once set back up, keep all coral and livestock happy/healthy in the process.

I know how to move a whole tank, done it before, but not with these hiccups i seem to be experiencing. I know that since i have to move my tank now would be a good time to execute any plans of attack that are available.

PLease let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

SMACKERS4

OH yeah, i also have a BTA and a Maxi Mini Carpet Nem both attached to their own huge rock, lol

I also have access to the new place as of right now, but wont officially be moving in untill the weekend of the 29th.

Thanks everyone in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited:

rozdab

Don't have any words of advice but good luck. Lmk if u need any help on Sunday the 30th as I work the 29th.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
All your LR and corals could go into your 16 and treat that tank for the flatworms. (http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html) Your livestock could be divided between two other tanks. I would think you could rinse out the sand and just reuse it. I'm surprised that your diatoms have lasted four months.

jm23

No fun Zach... From what I have read online both the flat worms and diatoms are nutrient based problems. If your nutrient export is sufficient both of those problem should fade with time. Sometimes the live rock can hold alot of nutrients and that is why you might be seeing low numbers on your test kits. Certain wrasses will also help with the flatworms. Check out reefcleaners guide nuisance algae on his website for more ideas on getting rid of the diatoms. GL.