What's eating my Zoa

Mark1313

Really there's only 2 things that could be guilty. Maybe 3.

4 tiny zebra hermit.
Peppermint shrimp.
Or a hitchhiker crab who I've never seen yet. Only know he's around because of a molt.

My bet is the hermits. My tank just turned 2 months old. I leave corals on the frag until I'm sure both the coral and I are happy with the placement. I'm thinking the hermits try to pick stuff off the frags and just keep going until there is absolutely nothing left.

Thoughts, ideas?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

xj_matt

Premium member
Really there's only 2 things that could be guilty. Maybe 3.

4 tiny zebra hermit.
Peppermint shrimp.
Or a hitchhiker crab who I've never seen yet. Only know he's around because of a molt.

My bet is the hermits. My tank just turned 2 months old. I leave corals on the frag until I'm sure both the coral and I are happy with the placement. I'm thinking the hermits try to pick stuff off the frags and just keep going until there is absolutely nothing left.

Thoughts, ideas?

My guess would me the peppermint shrimp more then anything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mark1313

My guess would me the peppermint shrimp more then anything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Makes sense cause I got it for aiptasia and it did its job, all gone. Maybe now it's hungry.
It's why I'm so undecided. I've seen the hermits on a frag, but the pep being guilty seems correct also.

Mjl714

I had a peppermint shrimp that i caught eating a frogspawn, so I would be watching that peppermint shrimp.

Mark1313

Ya in hindsight I think I should have chosen aiptasia x. That peppermint is gonna be a pain to catch if I decide to go the removal direction.

Mjl714

Actually, catching wasn't to bad. We used plastic tonic bottle fashioned into a trap with a piece of krill.

Mark1313

Thx I'll give it a shot.
Thinking if I pull the peppermint (it's job is done)
Pull the 4 zebra hermits and replace with 1 halloween hermit
Find and remove the crab in case it's a gorilla.
Should clear up my problem. Easier said then done though.

mannysmusic

Do you have any of the small astrenia starfish in your tank. I always find them munching on my zoas and have to pick them off. They are a pita.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk