What's the best way to kill LR?

Joe5688

What i did with mine was FW soak for 3 days and then let them dry for 3 days and rinse off with water.

MMreef

Bleach. Than rinse it in FW and let it dry for few days so there is no smell anymore. This will kill everything and clean your rock completely. If you just soak it in FW you will still have dead organisms on rock,that will decompose when you put rock in tank.

The reefer

Tinman my tank crashed a week ago :-(
And mark if I do bleach them what's the ration from bleach to water? The Fw would work also but yes it will still have decay on them. I want my rock to b white again as if I just bought them. Once it's all clean I will begin to cook them. That way once my new tank it ready the rocks will b also.

tinman

And mark if I do bleach them what's the ration from bleach to water? The Fw would work also but yes it will still have decay on them. I want my rock to b white again as if I just bought them. Once it's all clean I will begin to cook them. That way once my new tank it ready the rocks will b also.
oh man, thats sad :(

is everything alrite now ?

trackfast

Princess Trainer
You would only need 3/4C of bleach per gallon of water to clean/kill everything. If you wanted to lighten up the rock more would be needed; I never measure when I do it.

krocky12

I started up my old charcoal grill and grilled it after I pit it in vinegar get about about you a week. Then I let it sit out side for about 2 days

MMreef

I do 1:10 bleach to water ratio. Works very well.

The reefer

I believe i disturbed my sand. I didn't think it was much so just did a 5g wc and added a lot if carbon, but I still woke up with a cloudy tank :-(
But now I'm recovering. I'm gonna try the 1:10 bleach first, But for how long? Also when rinsing do I use rodi? And also for how long?

MMreef

I believe i disturbed my sand. I didn't think it was much so just did a 5g wc and added a lot if carbon, but I still woke up with a cloudy tank :-(
But now I'm recovering. I'm gonna try the 1:10 bleach first, But for how long? Also when rinsing do I use rodi? And also for how long?
All you need is couple of hours in bleach solution. After that you want to rinse with RODI water not tap water so you don't introduce anymore phosphates. Let the rock completely dry in well ventilated area for few days. After that put it in RODI water and treat with dechlorinator just for peace of mind.

The reefer

Oh ok. I will start this weekend. Ill use bleach and I'm gonna soak them in rodi water for a couple of days switching out the rodi water also. I want to make sure the bleach is all out. Then let them dry out. And mayb soak them in rodi water for a couple more days b4 I start cooking them.

MMreef

Oh ok. I will start this weekend. Ill use bleach and I'm gonna soak them in rodi water for a couple of days switching out the rodi water also. I want to make sure the bleach is all out. Then let them dry out. And mayb soak them in rodi water for a couple more days b4 I start cooking them.
After bleach treatment there is no need to cook it anymore. Rock will be dead and sterile just like dry rock. You will need to cycle it again before introducing fish and inverts.

Tethered_Limbs

i thought bleach jsut killed everythihng, wudnt all the PO4 still be in the rock? there is an acid did you can do to kill everything and the PO4 stuckin the rocks

MMreef

If you want to get rid if PO4 that is in the rock, you can do vinegar or muratic acid bath too. What it does it dissolves the rock and release PO4 from the rock. Muratic acid is stronger so shorter bath is needed. Vinegar I would leave overnight. I would still do bleach first.

The reefer

After I do use the bleach,rinse the rock and let it dry out for 2 week or so I will b cooking my rock. I'm gonna b using a lot of saltwater and switching buckets every 3-5 days. This will go on for around 2 months.