Whats your favorite LED fixture and Review?

Tank2379

Now that most of everyone has jumped or has not made the switch yet to LED, lets share some of you're thoughts on your favorite LED. *Note this is not to start a debate amongst each other about which one is better this is to gather enough information for the new members that are just starting out in the Hobby so they can decide what fixture to go with and which ones to stay away from. Try to be as detail as possible if you like all information should be keep here so we have 1 place to go for all our LED expereinces.

To start I currently have the Apollo Reef LED Artic Red lights

Pro's
-The 3W Bridgelux LED are awesome and will grow SPS and other high light corals that require high lighting.
-The dimmable feature Via Apex is pretty sweet and you can simulate sunup and sundown or Dusk, Dawn which ever you prefer to call it.
-You can programm to have a Storm Mode effect via Feed Mode on your Apex.
-1 fixture will be enough for a 24"X24"X24" tank
-Has 2 fans 1 for blues then 1 for the whites/reds both turn on when the respected switch is turned on.
-Comes with 90 degree optics

Cons
-Does not dim down to 1%, it only starts up at 5% then forward, then from 100% to 5% then Off
-Only work if you have an Apex VDM module, will not work if you don't have this

Review:
For the most part this fixture has done the job and I will purchase another one from Apollo Reef LED in the future. This light fixture has worked for me and this is just my review and one of my favorites at the moment.

I also have currently over my Frag Tank the Maxspect Razor

Pro's
-Has 3 Modes, Automatic, Manual, and Preset mode
-Automatic is the one I use for Dusk, Dawn effect
-Dims down to 1% and I can use that as my moonlights at night Thumbs up for that.
-Slim look keep things nice and tight.
-3W Cree LED on this fixture
-Programmable feature

Cons
-Not sure why the Manual Mode or the Preset behind it but it's useless to me
-Not Apex Compatible

Review:
All in one this is a great fixture for a 16K if you like the Blue look you will definetly see the differance between the 10K that they offer. You really do have to play with the simmulation of sunup and sun down to get the right intensity and look you want. This has great growth and will also do the job that it's set out to do.

This is to sum up my 2 fixture and these both are really my favorites for now unless something else comes around.

Thanks for all your information on your LED fixtures.

tkh

Enjoying my AI Vegas so far, and now with power pucks out, customization is looking like it will be a lot of fun. I'm waiting for the "Director" software to come out before doing more customization of the lights though. Also, I only have a set of T5s to compare it with, and the T5s were no where near powerful enough for the tank... So there's that too.

Pros:
- Crees, so high quality LEDs (month that I actually believe that much is needed, but hey, they're on there, so may as well point it out)
- Every individual channel (color) is 100% controllable from 0% - 100%
- This allows for fully customized color spectrums to attain the look you want.
- Also allows for fully programmable ramp up / down cycles throughout the day.
- Has a moonlight function (I don't use it though, but setup properly it can mimic a lunar cycle in theory)
- Has built in weather effects, clouds, storms etc... Again, I don't use it, but it's there for those that enjoy it. Storms would be useful for breeding certain species.
- Power pucks (modular led system) allows full customization of the LEDs on your lights. Greater control over the light spectrum to match your likes/photosynthetic requirements.
- Looks cool, very cool actually, although this is completely subjective.

Cons:
- Poorly done initial launch left a bad impression due to controller bugs.
- Requires the purchase of a separate controller to use them beyond on/off.
- Expensive, but what isn't in this hobby....

All in all, for LEDs, I still think DIY with tons of research to match LEDs to the right photosynthetically required wavelengths is the way to go. If you like DIY of course.

Tank2379

Enjoying my AI Vegas so far, and now with power pucks out, customization is looking like it will be a lot of fun. I'm waiting for the "Director" software to come out before doing more customization of the lights though. Also, I only have a set of T5s to compare it with, and the T5s were no where near powerful enough for the tank... So there's that too.

Pros:
- Crees, so high quality LEDs (month that I actually believe that much is needed, but hey, they're on there, so may as well point it out)
- Every individual channel (color) is 100% controllable from 0% - 100%
- This allows for fully customized color spectrums to attain the look you want.
- Also allows for fully programmable ramp up / down cycles throughout the day.
- Has a moonlight function (I don't use it though, but setup properly it can mimic a lunar cycle in theory)
- Has built in weather effects, clouds, storms etc... Again, I don't use it, but it's there for those that enjoy it. Storms would be useful for breeding certain species.
- Power pucks (modular led system) allows full customization of the LEDs on your lights. Greater control over the light spectrum to match your likes/photosynthetic requirements.
- Looks cool, very cool actually, although this is completely subjective.

Cons:
- Poorly done initial launch left a bad impression due to controller bugs.
- Requires the purchase of a separate controller to use them beyond on/off.
- Expensive, but what isn't in this hobby....

All in all, for LEDs, I still think DIY with tons of research to match LEDs to the right photosynthetically required wavelengths is the way to go. If you like DIY of course.
Perfect
Thank you :thumb:

tinman

Kessil A350, ftw

This is the best light i ever had or seen till now (sadly didnt recognise its awesomeness when i had it), the light is a canon of light and grew everything soo beautifully.

Pros:
- Multichip with 45 watts of white and 45 watts of blues, seperate dimmers for the blues and whites
- Vry sleek and easily mountable using the gooseneck or can be hanged from the ceiling at required height to cover the desired area
- lens is a thick glass lens that sends out a narrow beam to start with and the light comming out is very powerful that it can be used on deep tanks with no issues.
requirements.
- even though the channels are just blues and whites, the spectrum of the light comming out from the mix covers other colors also including purple and some what red wavelength making almost all the colors in the tank pop.

Cons:
- No seperate switches for blues and whites so unable to enjoy the pure actinics
- not programmable.
- Expensive.

brettz16

36" Prestige LED Hybrid
This is my first dip into leds which is why i went with the hybrid. Love it so far and have no plan to get rid of it.

Pros:
-Features CREE leds
- 3 separate switches
- great t5 reflectors
-Great combo of leds
-Awesome par readings.
- lots of color variations
- built in dimmer/timer
-9 channel settings
- quiet
- Stays within low temperatures.
- Price

Cons
-very heavy unit
- The legs that come with a cutting close to too short for a 48" tank
- wish it had constant dimming
- no UV leds

Steve's LEDs 12G Nano Cube Retrofit

Pros:
-Can be fully assembled for extra price so you basically unscrew the old ones, and screw in the new lights.
-Can be assembled on your own if you are more DIY
-Dual dimmable drivers to modify blue and white lights.
-Customizable colors if you decide to go full spectrum
-Very good customer service
-Able to grow anything in this particular setup. Deresa on the sandbed showing incredible growth, birdnest at around 7 inches up also showing incredible growth.
-Dimmer knobs come with the kit already

Cons:
-If you want to attach to RKL/Apex, you need to buy a special controller card from Steve's LEDs
-Built-in fan can get annoying (runs the entire time the lights are on)
-Power supply is separate from actual lighting, and takes up a lot of space, and cooling fan can also be loud when it kicks on.
-Requires small amount of customization to the hood to get the dimmer switches to look stock

That's all I can think of for now. I definitely recommend it.

MrDemonicAngel

36" Prestige LED Hybrid
This is my first dip into leds which is why i went with the hybrid. Love it so far and have no plan to get rid of it.

Pros:
-Features CREE leds
- 3 separate switches
- great t5 reflectors
-Great combo of leds
-Awesome par readings.
- lots of color variations
- built in dimmer/timer
-9 channel settings
- quiet
- Stays within low temperatures.
- Price

Cons
-very heavy unit
- The legs that come with a cutting close to too short for a 48" tank
- wish it had constant dimming
- no UV leds
to add onto Brett's

36" Gamma
Pro:
- everything Brett said
Con:
- the power cords aren't as long as I want it to be...

24" Marineland Reef Capable LED
Pros:
- low profile
- light weight
- separate timer for blue & whites
Cons:
- expensive
- cant do a variety of corals
- cant hang from fixture, only mount on tank rim
- cant dim
- no color variations (just blue and white)

Led nano fixture from DX.com
Pro:
- cheap
Con:
- doesnt even grow chaeto

DAS212

AI NANO (Aqua Illumination Nano)

Had one of these before I upgraded tanks. Now I have two Color Vega's but they have already been review so Ill do the nano.

PROS
- 18" Spread for a unit about the size of my hand.
- Cool (Gives off very little heat)
- Energy Efficient
- 50,000 Hour LED life makes up for cost
- Brings out GREAT color in your tank and increases coral growth.
- 12 programable channels, 3 LED colors, White, Royal Blue, and Blue which can be adjusted 0%-100% individually with ramp times leading into different programs.
- Lunar Cycle/Weather (I think this is pretty cool because it changed things up a bit especially at night)
- AMAZING customer support

CONS
- POS plastic arm to mount it with but can jerry rig a regular SOL/VEGA mounting kit to work
- $299 (Expensive but offset by economical power usage of LEDs and 50K hour lifespan)
- $79 control unit which is pretty much required unless you will have to dim/brighten the LED by hand

FINAL OPINION: Awesome light, I used it over my 29g biocube when I first started out, I was very pleased by the colors and ability for such a little unit to light up my entire tank. Noticed increased growth and enjoyed the programmable cycles. It can get expensive with a $299 light, $79 control unit, and around $130 if you upgrade to the mounting rail. In my opinion, well worth the price.

- Dave

jm23

RapidLED Dimmable Solderless Kits:

Pros:
  • Cree LEDs
  • Fully customizable
  • As many channels as you want, any color temperature you want (potential con: must be at least 8 LEDs per string)
  • Price (considering they are the same LEDs in the high end models)
  • Works with all major brand controllers (Fully programmable)
  • The great feeling that comes with building it yourself
  • Runs very cool with the fans on them and can't hear the fans
  • No soldering required, none!

Cons:
  • DIY (if thats not your thing)
  • Not as streamline as production models (thicker wires coming from the unit, wire nuts, etc.)
  • Not dimmable to 0% (10% is the minimum, so you can't use them for moonlights)

Final thoughts: Once you add in the extra cost of a controller, they are not that much cheaper then AI Sols/Vegas, but you get a controller (which I can't imagine having a tank without). I just included Warm White and Neutral White to my new LEDs over my frag tank (in addition to Royal Blue, Blue, Cool White, Green, Red) and they look great and don't make the tank look too warm. I would do it all over again, it was fun learning to put together LED lights and they work great. Remind me to update with par values Monday night after Chris comes over.

View attachment 14060

Jep21

CC120 AKA Coral Compulsion Full Spectrum 120w LED

http://coralcompulsion.com/
Number of LEDs:
55 3watt running at just over 2w each

LED Color Combination:
26 Deep Blue 455nm
11 Cool White 12000k
6 Neutral White 6500k
4 True Violet 420nm
4 Deep Red 660nm
4 Cyan 495nm

Optics: 90 Degree standard
Area Coverage: 30" x 24"
Size: Approx. 16" x 8" x 2"
Warranty: 3 Years

Pros:
-Self timer
-Dimmable
-Affordable(compared to other LEDS)
-Awesome customer service
-Quiet
-Easy to program
-Local

Cons:
-no moon lights(to me doesnt really matter)

Overall:
This LED light is amazing.. Love that it's a self timer and how CC has great customer service.. It's very simple just set how bright u want the blues and whites and the times u want it to turn on and off and your all set.. Get great PAR values from this light and one of the only lights that has gotten me to have success with sps :)

Tethered_Limbs

Radion XR30w (Gen 2)

Pros:
-Can customize the color to just about anything
-Constant dimming, i.e. sunrise/sunset
-Fixture itself looks good
-Silent
-Easy hanging
-Good par even over 4' of tank with 1 unit
-Easy to program via their Ecotech Live online beta
-Can communicate with my vortechs
-Lightning storm/cloud cover
-Can be upgraded by ecotech
-Amazing CS

Cons:
-Price

Tank2379

This is great stuff guys keep it rolling... So many different types of LED fixtures out there I know there are more. Even if its posted about one post the same one if you have it to get your feedback and review on it, if its you're favorite... :)

Thanks guys this is awesome...

I have the AI Sol blues on my reef tank love them. I run them off a reef angel controller, i think apex works them if you buy a module of some sort.... they work well, does effects like thunderstorms, rolling clouds, etc....gimicky but kinda cool and they are sleek and look good over open top tanks, IMO kinda spendy but since the vegas came out the used market is an option

On my frag tank i have the d120 fixture (also goes by several names evergrow, etc) its very nice as well, not hight tech but has a knob for the blues and a knob for the whites, and the tank looks great.
If on a budget wouldnt hesitate to run all of the d120 fixtures (but they are kinda huge and clunky looking to me).. plenty of light output

edsbeaker

this is to gather enough information for the new members that are just starting out in the Hobby so they can decide what fixture to go with and which ones to stay away from.
Great idea for a thread. I'm not new to the hobby, but I'm still pondering which to get in the future. So many choices with good reviews that even for somewhat experienced reefers, at least for me, it is still a difficult decision. This should help.

Siebo

Premium member
IT2080 Evergrow (Group buy LED's)

Pro's
99 - 3 watt bridgelux led's
100% custom led layout over 2 channels when ordered
Custom optic options
Built in moon lights
Digital User interface w/ remote
Fully programmable in 30min intervals plus some preset options
Great Price
I am getting good growth on corals (SPS, LPS Z/P's)
One cord

Con’s
Blues turn off at 10% to engage the 3 moon light LED’s. I wish all the blues dimmed to 0% and it was more gradual. Moon light would be on a channel by itself. 48 blue LED’s kicking on at one time at 10% is still a lot.
Support is in China so if you have an issue you are dealing with someone overseas via skype

Overall I love this light and would highly recommend it for the money.