Which fish can I add

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

After my clown tang pasted the other day. Have really no reason.. Had it about 1-2 weeks. I am thinking about adding a smaller fish. Either a flame angel or a few chromis? 120 gallon-(6') YT, SF, Blonde Tang, 2x clowns, 3x shrimp and a scallop. Most will probably say it has enough fish but hoping I can squeeze in another fish. All live rock and coral. Ton of open space.. 30 gal sump, algae scrubber... Just installed the DCT6000, so far great pump. Runs everything! 3x wave makers. All water parameters have been stable for months. Anyhow, ideas on adding fish??

If SF stands for Sailfin, then he needs a much bigger tank, same with the Blonde. Multiple Chromis + time = 1 Chromi. You're well overstocked.

SteveV

I hated to hear the truth!!! My thought is to get a 180+ next spring.... What do you mean by Multiple chromis + Time = 1 Chromis?? Specifically the + time? THANKS!

I hated to hear the truth!!! My thought is to get a 180+ next spring.... What do you mean by Multiple chromis + Time = 1 Chromis?? Specifically the + time? THANKS!
A 180 is still too small for the Sailfin, and probably the Blonde but not sure. By next Spring their growth will likely already be stunted. Chromis kill each other off over time, the dominant one survives, in tanks much bigger than a 120.

SteveV

Live aquaria site says 180 for both.. Sounds like my next tank should be 220+. Have to figure out a small fish that won't mess with the reef.. Angels sound iffy.. Want something that swims in the open...

jrwoltman

A small chromis school doesn't put out much of a bioload. If your parameters are good, I think that would work out for you.

#theMatrix

Coworker of mine has 7 chromies...its been 9 months and i figured the most aggressive would be remaining i asked him about them and showed me avideo from last week where they school back and forth none died.
I also told him on that month he got them that they would pick one off one by one though usually true. His are still alive

Unsure if its mostly female or male and female or how they act around females but they look real cool together

His are in a 40b with 3clowns 2 wrasse 2 tang 1 buterfly 2 triggers and mix corals.

So it can be done i guess.

As for stock your tangs need room to hide and claim as their home. And as long as your skinmer can handle the bioload i dont see how your overstocked or at capacity.

I know a person here who has a great system with over around 19fish name rhymes with crummings

Last edited:

Top Water

Sorry my idea of time is years .
Coworker of mine has 7 chromies...its been 9 months and i figured the most aggressive would be remaining i asked him about them and showed me avideo from last week where they school back and forth none died.
I also told him on that month he got them that they would pick one off one by one though usually true. His are still alive

Unsure if its mostly female or male and female or how yhey act around females but they look real cool together

SteveV

Great input! Thanks
I have two skimmers on it now. Berlin 25-250 and some off brand cheap unit that says it does 150. Identical to the safestar unit. Funny thing, the Berlin has been set up for a week and no skimming, the cheap one started in hours.. Starting to think the Berlin's life is done.. Anyhow, even if I pull the Berlin I will get another skimmer so I am not worried about load just enough room for the fish. As of now the 120 is no where near half full of live rock. 1/3 I guess.

Great input! Thanks
I have two skimmers on it now. Berlin 25-250 and some off brand cheap unit that says it does 150. Identical to the safestar unit. Funny thing, the Berlin has been set up for a week and no skimming, the cheap one started in hours.. Starting to think the Berlin's life is done.. Anyhow, even if I pull the Berlin I will get another skimmer so I am not worried about load just enough room for the fish. As of now the 120 is no where near half full of live rock. 1/3 I guess.
The reason those fish need bigger tanks is so they can do sprints and be more relaxed, your water quality unless absolutely terrible isn't very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.