Who makes their own food?

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Just wondering who out there is making their own fish food. I've seen many different "recipes" online but would love to hear first hand from any one who has experience.

I currently have several packs of different frozen cubes. My issue is that I never need a whole cube of mysis for my tank. I'm thinking about just tossing a pack of each frozen cube in a blender with a little RO water and refreezing it all into smaller cubes.

I found these mini ice cube trays on Amazon and they seem like they should be the perfect size for a single feeding.

Again I'd love to hear any "recipes", experience, where to buy ingredients etc.

Thanks!

Fishbone

I tried it once, by the time I bought everything and spent the time making it like Rod's food it was a huge investment and way to much time to do again unless I needed huge quantities.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've been buying clams from the grocery store. I just PPP them out of the shell, throw them in a Baggie, and into the freezer. When I want to feed, I just cut off a piece the size I want. My fish go crazy for them like no other food I've ever fed.

Spartanman22

I make my own fish food. The ingredients I use are:

Shrimp*
Clam*
Squid*
Mussel*
Octopus*
Roe
Daphnia
Baby Brine Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
Mysis Shrimp
Reef Plankton (frozen cubes)
Cyclop-eeze
Krill
Blood worms
Thera-A Spectrum 1mm pellets
Spirulina powder
Garlic extract

*these items are part of a frozen seafood medley purchased from an Asian supermarket; It is preservative free.

All the ingredients are blended together then spread into gallon and quart sized ziploc bags.

I did find that I preferred to blend all the meaty ingredients first then add the roe and Thera-A at the end and just mix it real quick.

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I make my own fish food. The ingredients I use are:

Shrimp*
Clam*
Squid*
Mussel*
Octopus*
Roe
Daphnia
Baby Brine Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
Mysis Shrimp
Cyclop-eeze
Krill
Blood worms
Spirulina powder
Garlic extract

*these items are part of a frozen seafood medley purchased from an Asian supermarket; It is preservative free.

All the ingredients are blended together then spread into gallon and quart sized ziploc bags.

I did find that I preferred to blend all the meaty ingredients first then add the roe and Thera-A at the end and just mix it real quick.
Off all the things you put in aside from the seafood medley what ways are you buying/using those? Are you just blending frozen cubes or packs of those together or are you using freeze dried or are they fresh? I have lots of frozen mysis, brine, krill, bloodworms etc. will these work?

Spartanman22

A lot of it were frozen cubes. I got the Spirulina powder from vitamin shop, and the roe from an Asian market

Tkroll0321

Premium member
A lot of it were frozen cubes. I got the Spirulina powder from vitamin shop, and the roe from an Asian market
Awesome! I might try making a small batch this weekend. It will be very basic just using some things I have in the freezer already.

Is the seafood medley that you get fresh? Or frozen?

MikeyB

If you have a trade joes nearby they have a nice seafood blend that i use to make my own. Its preservative free as well. Comes with shrimp/calamari and scallops.

I chop that up, add a few other things, some selcon, some nori and freeze it and just break chunks off when i feed.

Arthur

Hi. Which Asian Market I can buy all that? I live in Naperville also..
QUOTE=Spartanman22;290277]I make my own fish food. The ingredients I use are:

Shrimp*
Clam*
Squid*
Mussel*
Octopus*
Roe
Daphnia
Baby Brine Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
Mysis Shrimp
Cyclop-eeze
Krill
Blood worms
Spirulina powder
Garlic extract

I did find that I preferred to blend all the meaty ingredients first then add the roe and Thera-A at the end and just mix it real quick.[/QUOTE]

Tkroll0321

Premium member
If you have a trade joes nearby they have a nice seafood blend that i use to make my own. Its preservative free as well. Comes with shrimp/calamari and scallops.

I chop that up, add a few other things, some selcon, some nori and freeze it and just break chunks off when i feed.
Awesome I'm going to have to check that out next time I'm by a trader joes. I'm thinking one of the fresh markets by me might be similar. Thanks for the info!

DanzReef

Do you guys blender all them ingredients or simply just chop away into little bits? My guys are too small for chopping so I thought of just blending them away but don't want to liquify it...

MikeyB

Do you guys blender all them ingredients or simply just chop away into little bits? My guys are too small for chopping so I thought of just blending them away but don't want to liquify it...
I used to use a food processor but that kinda ended up turning everything into mush. I now use one of those slap chop things and that works perfectly for me, leaves some bigger chunks for some of the bigger fish but also has lots of smaller pieces for the rest

*edit* I only chop up the stuff from trader joes, not mysis or anything else

Last edited:

Spoofer

I've been doing this for awhile as well. I generally stick to fish/coral geared food products.. mysis, rods, cyclo. .. I then thaw a bunch of it in a bowl stir.. not blend.. i'd rather have whole mysis then blended. I use Micro ice cube trays from amazon spread and fill.. saran wrap freeze.. smack out the cubes date and bag. Pull a micro cube when u need it.