Who Uses UV?

So the local shop is trying their hardest to sell me a UV sterilizer...

I did just have a Powder Blue catch Ich in a serious way and there was nothing I can do for him. Eating like a pig the night before, dead within 24hrs.

All the LFS can say is "why dont you have a UV, its job is to prevent this on a big tank"....

Thoughts and recommendations??

frostyjay1

UV filters dont prevent ICH. the only way to prevent it is to QT all your new fish for 8 weeks before adding them to the DT. The uv filter filters out food for your corals. it makes the water clear, but so does a good carbon. if you read around the UV is hit or miss with people. I personally have one running on my tank because i got it for free, but when i start the new tank i will be using a reactor with gfo and carbon, and it is still going to be cheaper then buying a UV filter. Now keep in mind these are the things I was told when i was asking around, and I am in now way an expert. LOL. good luck with your decision

Joe5688

I have one built into my canister filter and i turn it on occasionally. Never see a difference. It's spouse to help with algae too.

Herbie

Banned
I added the JBJ nanozap to help with my algae problem in my 28nc. I think it has helped with the film algae a little, but I have also heard that they kill a lot of beneficial bacteria too, so most bigger reef tanks avoid them. Gret for a FOWLR though.

kratos1028

Are you thinking of using it on a Reef or fowlr tank? I had one running on my fowlr and it worked great.

I took it down for the Reef though.

Its going to be a reef...I figured this was the case, but thought I would check with the community just in case, thanks all!

Scotts phone...

FishBeard

Chances are they been sitting on the uv setup too long if they are pushing you this hard to buy it. Just say no if it'll be a reef.

madjoe

Premium member
I run uv on my reef 36w on my 75g does not prevent any ich but helps keep it in check where its just few spots then the fish usually fights the rest off if u fish died in 24hrz wasnt ich was velvet ive seen fish have ich for months and not die. But what do i know

Thanks all!

Whatever it was it was nasty...He is one of the pigs during regular feeding time, and almost a bully when I throw algea sheets in there. Night before last was business as usual, when I got home from work last night one of my daughters met me at the door upset and showed me that he wasnt looking very good and not swimming like normal. By the time I went to bed he was laying on the bottom of the hospital tank barely moving...and this morning no longer with us :(

madjoe

Premium member
That sucks was he in qt or dt if dt keep eye on others if it was velvet can wipe out whole system quick

Was in DT at first, then moved him to QT where he died. Since I only have dry rock in the DT right now, I'm going to medicate the system extensively to hopefully prevent this from happening again.