Who's an electrician?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm trying to put in some gfci outlets and I'm struggling. I got the gfci with built in alarm so I will hear if an outlet trips. I've installed one, and the green light is lit on the outlet, but it has no power. Power is still flowing through it because the outlets one either side of it are working.

The box has four wires in it: two black and two white. One black and one white is a looped wire that just has some coating peeled away. The other two are just terminal wires.

Don't have the load/line switched? Ideas?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Thanks Mike/Supercharged for the help. I got everything working again for the most part.

My DJ switch kept popping the GFCI, so I'm going to get another one. It was really rusty, so it probably has some internal issues. I only got one gfci installed because I couldn't get both to work. I know I only need one for the same circuit, but I thought if the second one popped, at least I'd have power to the first one. The first one only runs my lights, so no big deal for now.

madjoe

Premium member
So kinda on subject here . I was gonna add a gfci but been told u shouldnt because if something trips it shuts your whole system off so i just hook everything to my reef keeper each pc4 is a surge protector so if something is bad it trips that pc4 only and i try keep pumps on least two seperate pc4 so one trips i still have some kinda water movement. R u worried about this or did u find away around it . Or am i completly off and wrong about this . Just wondering when i was told about not doing it he made sense but dont mean hes right whats your thoughts

ColaAddict

Joe. You just want the things that you turn on and off automatically in a separate GCFI (lights), so if they trip the GCFI and you're not home, won't hurt your whole system. The pumps/wavemakers can be in the same GCFI because you are usually around when they turn off and turn those off yourself.
Ideally, you want to use a GCFI, so the hobby doesn't kill you. I don't think surge protectors will keep you from getting electrocuted, well...the grounded plugs protects you I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
So, I only got my system half fixed yesterday. Everything for my tank comes out of two outlets and they are both on the same circuit. It I protect the first one, any outlet down the line would be protected to, because if they had a surge, the first outlet with the gfci would trip. I wanted to put a gfci on both, so if the second one tripped, the first one would keep working. However, with two gfci on the same circuit, I could not get both to reset properly. So now, I only have a gfci on the second one because in stupidly did that one first. However, my wire management under my stand us super clean now.

On a related my DJ power strip kept tripping the gfci so I assume there was something wrong with it. It was super rusty from being under my tank. I'm going to order a new one today.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Here's a reefing acronym FU GFCI. I came home today and the GFCI was tripped. Apparently the tank had been shut down for a long time. 75.1 degrees. As soon as I get home from dinner that piece of sh*t gfci is coming right back out of the wall!

madjoe

Premium member
Here's a reefing acronym FU GFCI. I came home today and the GFCI was tripped. Apparently the tank had been shut down for a long time. 75.1 degrees. As soon as I get home from dinner that piece of sh*t gfci is coming right back out of the wall!
And thats what i was talking about hope everything is ok

Mjl714

I hope everything works out. I had similar trouble with these things, and went back to "Reef first."

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Welp, I'm back to no gfci, but on the upside, my cable management is twice as clean as it was before.