Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

carpetreef75

Premium member
Have won some nice pieces for cheap prices from Reefwise on Egay and brian held them for pickup so saved me the shipping charges . Very easy & professional to deal with
Bryan

carpetreef75

Premium member
- - - Updated - - -

Turbinaria bifrons. What the common name is, I haven't a clue.

GOOGLE is your friend JR ..sounds like a very interesting piece ..Brian needs to put some of there Bounce shrooms on Egay :)

Turbinaria bifrons is quite simply unlike any coral anyone has ever seen, and it is perhaps one of the rarest stony coral species in the aquarium hobby. When we say T. bifrons is rare we don’t mean rare as in a strain of a particular highly desired Echniophyllia, a genus that is practically overrepresented in aquaria.

No we mean this coral is rare as in we’ve only seen it twice, the first time being more than seven years ago and only one other time more recently at MACNA. Furthermore there exists scantly no more images of the unusual “two-face” Turbinaria than what is included in the Veron’s Corals of the World.

turbinaria-bifrons-3So if this corals is so rare and overlooked why should we or anyone care? What makes T. bifrons unique is that instead of growing single-sided plates like the cup corals we are most familiar with, or having a branching shape like the coveted Hero coral, T. heronensis, T. bifrons has upright blades which are bifacial, that is with corallites growing on both sides of the “branch”.

Turbinaria bifrons is one of only two species in the genus to display this clear-cut distinction of having corallites on both sides of its upright plates. The other species being Turbinaria conspicua, which was once synonymized with T. bifrons, making it all the more confusing in terms of taxonomy, but you don’t need to be a coral taxonomist to appreciate this coral’s incredibly unique growing shape.

jrwoltman

- - - Updated - - -

Turbinaria bifrons. What the common name is, I haven't a clue.

GOOGLE is your friend JR ..sounds like a very interesting piece ..Brian needs to put some of there Bounce shrooms on Egay :)

Turbinaria bifrons is quite simply unlike any coral anyone has ever seen, and it is perhaps one of the rarest stony coral species in the aquarium hobby. When we say T. bifrons is rare we don’t mean rare as in a strain of a particular highly desired Echniophyllia, a genus that is practically overrepresented in aquaria.

No we mean this coral is rare as in we’ve only seen it twice, the first time being more than seven years ago and only one other time more recently at MACNA. Furthermore there exists scantly no more images of the unusual “two-face” Turbinaria than what is included in the Veron’s Corals of the World.

turbinaria-bifrons-3So if this corals is so rare and overlooked why should we or anyone care? What makes T. bifrons unique is that instead of growing single-sided plates like the cup corals we are most familiar with, or having a branching shape like the coveted Hero coral, T. heronensis, T. bifrons has upright blades which are bifacial, that is with corallites growing on both sides of the “branch”.

Turbinaria bifrons is one of only two species in the genus to display this clear-cut distinction of having corallites on both sides of its upright plates. The other species being Turbinaria conspicua, which was once synonymized with T. bifrons, making it all the more confusing in terms of taxonomy, but you don’t need to be a coral taxonomist to appreciate this coral’s incredibly unique growing shape.
Oh yes, I looked it up before I bought it, and I read the same article multiple times. Just don't know the "common/hobbyist" name for the coral? Happily, yes, I am also doing local pickup too. :)