Working at a lfs? Good idea?

Greg

Ok so I already have a well paying full time job m-f.
I want to do more in this hobby. I thought of 2 options. Volunteer at the shed aquarium sat or sun or get a job at a lfs.

Shedd aquarium has a huge wait list even for unpaid volunteers. Due to the amount of volunteers you are only allowed to work one day one shift a week.
I have connections with someone who interned there so i can probably get one day a week. However it is far from my job and id be losing money going. But it has to be tons of fun. I want to be in the lab so i get to go to every exibit instead of working just one.

My other option is to get a parttime job at a lfs. Ive never worked for a small business let alone a 'pet store'. I have no idea what its like. Also id want it to be nearby my job in naperville so i can easily go after work or weekends. Unless a lfs would pay enough to make up for gas money in driving. My options near naperville are very slim. Only aquarium adventure which is a large chain more than a small business. However pays probably more reliable and longer hours. As well as more possible positions. Also working at a lfs probably gets a discount on dosing and supplies.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Both options sound very altruistic. One one hand, you'd get to be behind the scenes at the Shedd, on the other, you'd be more local and wouldn't lose $$.

I'd say, If money is not a big concern, go for the volunteer work at the Shedd. The knowledge you'd get would be invaluable (IMHO), not to mention how awesome it would be. Since it sounds like an inconvenience to travel there, perhaps you do it for a shorter term and then look for something more local...

FishBeard

I'm pretty sure you care about the hobby too much to work for aq.adv. you have to bag whatever the customer wants with a smile and please come again. Then deal with angry customer that you sold them something that didn't belong in the tank, etc...

snowboard

I worked at Beyond the Reef from 2006-2007, owner and other workers were great but I ended up not enjoying it. Maybe it was due to the fact it was my first job(I was 16) but I found it not as satisfying as keeping my own tanks and it kind of turned maintenance in my tank into a chore than a hobby. I would definitely go with Shedd. I am a certified open water diver and would intern there if I was closer and could somehow get in.

Bottom line: Fish store is gonna be maintaining a bunch of tanks that you don't get attached to. Shedd will most likely be a completely different experience and has infinitely more than any LFS has to offer.

ColaAddict

+1 with Snowboard. You might get tanked/reefed out working at a LFS. I would volunteer at the Shedd, but with your new build you might need that extra dough :)

Greg

Well i dont make so much that money isnt an issue lol. Just wanted to say that this pt job would not be my main source of income. :p I still have to pay 1300 rent, food, gas, insurance, ect. After my aquarium, it doesnt leave much spending money. Shedd would cost me quite a bit, but i hear its so much fun.

I wish there were more places like mcf lol. I bet they treat the tanks like their own. :p Its nice, clean, open area with a bunch of coral tanks. I dont know of any other store like it.

Still debating on AA. I do have a problem selling things to people that they shouldnt buy. I wonder if they really do force employees to sell regardless of situation. I dont mind dealing with bad customers. I worked sales at bestbuy for 4 years parttime.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
The "Pet Supplies Plus" on Ogden in Naperville does carry SW livestock. It's a small selection but the tanks look clean.

lunacris

I agree with all coments shed would be amazing. Id take a job sweeping and vacuming. Lol. However gas isntcheap and if not breaking even makes it a tough choice. Lfs option would be cool until u get in trouble for talking someone out of sale. My lfs won't sell anything he knows will die or reck the tank or more important the fish. I was at AA and young guy there talked me out of buying sally lightfoot for reef. Not huge issue couldn't say tge same if I were to buy a pricey fish.

Greg

On aquarium adventure's website they actually have recommendations on what fish to put in what tank. Making sure adult size will not outgrow the tank. They also tell you to wait a few days after the fish arrives to make sure its healthy. Make sure the fish is eating. Make sure your tank is ready for the fish and has proper tankmates. Proper acclimation. Ect.

If they practice what they preach, I dont think I'll mind working there...

Spoofer

as a LFS employee (2nd job) and a long time hobbyist- as others mentioned it'll burn you out and make you maybe not enjoy it as much...

I would suggest a alternative, like blogging or making your own business- why not go for the LLC and write off your hobby and get to make a little side cash at the same point and you make the call if something 'out of the house' or something you rent space to do, but either way it something to think about.. .or at least i have for a long time.

blogging is cool for the fact that you can sponsored and you can make a timeline or a resource guide to the different challenges you've tackled and equipment you've used..

Good luck - i love to know what you do, since i can't seem to 's**t or get off the pot'

FishBeard

On aquarium adventure's website they actually have recommendations on what fish to put in what tank. Making sure adult size will not outgrow the tank. They also tell you to wait a few days after the fish arrives to make sure its healthy. Make sure the fish is eating. Make sure your tank is ready for the fish and has proper tankmates. Proper acclimation. Ect.

If they practice what they preach, I dont think I'll mind working there...
This is front info on a website for a fish store owned and operated by a national chain of puppy/kitty mill petlands. It is a business that runs on sales. No one in the store will deny a paying customer if they want to purchase an item. To be fair most of them are relatively knowledgeable and try to answer questions honestly helping a customer make a decision on a sale, there is no pushing sales in my experiences there. It's more a matter of if that is the kind of company you feel comfortable working for.

Greg

Ugh, people still use puppy mills? ...
I just ignore Petland when I walk in. I thought it was like petssupplies plus... They sell dogs?

Also, I'm no lawyer/law student, but I dont think anyone can deny any sale of merchandise avaliable from a public retail store. Pretty sure you would get sued (or big trouble) for denying a customer an item clearly for sale. If a customer asked to buy a TV, and I said no, thats dangerous it is too big for your living room and will be dangerous for your kids to watch that close. They claimed it was their choice, and they are sticking with it; and I denied them the sale. (Or even worse, didnt tell them why I am denying the sale, but just dont let them buy it). Im pretty sure the customer would be beyond furious. Our store would get in huge trouble from corprate and probably our lawyers. Fish are considered objects by many so it would likely end up in the same boat. There is no legal reason to deny them the sale.

You may get away with it from a small store, but a retail chain...good luck.

The closest good lfs is Aquatica. Would be pretty cool working there since my 2 tanks were bought from Mario there. Problem is the private owned stores usually dont have very many job openings (if ever). If anyone is in there anytime soon, see if they have a Help Wanted sign. :D

FlyinBryan

I have to say that Aquarium Adventure does not just sell you anything. Thats been my experience. Even for my freshwater tank I told them what i had in fish and they declined to sell me one. For me its been an invaluable resource of information etc. I like to connect well with people I buy from and all the other lfs in the Chicagoland area either insulted my intelegence as a newbie or sold me crap I didnt need. Im a huge fan of Aquarium Adventure they got me going in the right direction on stuff and kept me from buying a whole bunch of equip i really didnt need. And no i dont work there or have stock in the company. Just my honest opinion based on experience.

Bwidner

Any store can refuse to sell you any item at any time, it is a freedom all businesses have to refuse to service any customer, for any non discrimitory reason.

DB9181

In regards to Aquarium Adventure... Not really a "large-chain store'. And you dont have to sell the customer what they want - first job is to inform the customer of the possibilities and advise them on poor decisions. Aquarium Adventure is an extension of Petland - There moto/mission statement revolves around matching the right person with the right pet, and meeting the needs of both.

How do I know this and not just talking out of my $&!^!#% ??? Because Both the Aq. Adventure in Boilingbrook as well as the Hoffman Estates AND the Petland in Batavia are owned by the same family.... and I worked for them for over 2 yrs until recently. Being that I was at just the Petland, I did all the pup stuff plus maintained over 2,000g of freshwater (we took the SW out alil over a year ago) - I was offered to a spot over at Boilingbrook but it was a much longer drive.

I will agree tho that it may turn the hobby a bit more into a chore as you will be maintaining tanks at work, then come home to yours. Since i was doing both animals AND fish...I had like 2 days a week to do all the FW stuff....so I'd literally spend 6-8hrs straight...then come home to a room of over 250gals, look at it and think "hmmm....I'll do it later" lol.

Sorry for the rambling but just personal preference. I will say this (again from experience) the "Employee Discount" is EXTREMELY NICE - Although they don't carry everything....it still is quite pleasant :)

DB9181

One more thought - both the Aq. Adv's have a "fish club membership" open to everyone - and it applied to both stores. I think its like $20/year OR like $50/life (did that like 3 years ago) - You get 25% of all fish/coral/plants/etc and 10% of all merch. plus they do larger sales where at times that doubles to 50% any/all livestock and 20% of merch. WELL worth it to do the lifetime membership even if you go there every once in awhile. (In fact im heading up there tomorrow lol)

BigKev23

I applied years ago to volunteer at the Shedd, also thinking it would be really cool. But of course, everyone wants to work behind the scenes with the fish tanks and such. The only option they usually give people is to work at the front desk selling tickets or other jobs similiar to that. I believe you had to also give them a one year commitment to one day a week, every week for that year. Needless to say, I didn't go for it.

Pufferpunk

I worked at & managed several lFS for about 8 years. Thankless job with lots of folks who refuse to cycle a tank--just bring back dead stuff for replacements. Got into the cat/dog grooming business instead. At least I feel like I'm helping animals now.

Greg

Why cant places just sell coral.
I dont want to deal with all the issues selling fish causes. :(

Id feel so bad if someone came back with a dead fish that was perfectly healthly when i sold it. I would look at them and be like ughhhhhh WTF DID YOU DO. I would definitely not give a free replacement...

Wish there were coral stores. :p
Only know of one (mostly coral at least) and its 90min away lol. (mcf)