Would like to start adding corals

RJDENNIS

I have had my tank up for approximately 8 years now and it is currently a FOWLR Tank and I would like to begin adding corals but don't even know where to start. I do have 1 Green Mushroom that has already split off its main rock and has attached to another rock.
My question is what corals would you choose to begin with and what kind of upkeep is required.

I do nothing to my tank currently other than the normal water changes and watch my parameters keeping everything in check.

I am getting bored with the lack of color in my tank other than from the fish i currently have which consists of a Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Koran Angel, 2 Clowns a Diamond Goby and my newest member a Cleaner Shrimp.

My tank is a 75 gallon with 25 gallon sump, Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer, Dual GFO/Carbon Reactor and 2 AI Vega LED's.

Believe it or not this week I broke down and ordered everything to get an ATO system going finally.

Any help with my Coral addition information would be great

Thanks in advance

lakereef

What kind of corals do you like? Soft corals are regarded as the easiest for beginners. Stony corals will require dosing of calcium and sodium bicarbonate(alk) but keeping that stable is a good idea regardless to get coraline growth which also would give you better color.

RJDENNIS

By parameters are you referring to the Salinity I'm running at, my Carbon and Alkalinity, My tank is a well established unit without any issues. I will have to post those and anything else requested once i get home from work.

My current fish are posted above and I have your average cleanup crew inhabitants and a fighting conch also.

My lighting is listed above as well

ultimatemj

Ah, sorry, missed the fish and lights...

The Angel is a limiter...it will likely eat or pick on most corals. Need to research what it will not eat.

Lights are good enough for LPS and softies...would likely need a 3rd to do any SPS.

Do you have a "wish list" of corals or colors?

RJDENNIS

Not really a list yet, I haven't really thought of it that much. I look at pictures of tanks and see the Blues and yellows popping and think I would love that in my tank

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Sounds like you mostly have what you need to give it a go. Where are your nitrates? I know when I had a FOWLR, they were often > 100. I'd start with a torch, frogspawn, or hammer. Those will be safe with your angel. Other LPS like chalices and acans will just be lunch. Same for zoas and plays. Eventually, you could do SPS corals when you feel that your tank is ready and when your skill level gets there.

RJDENNIS

What kind of upkeep are required for those corals, I know nothing about placement or lighting or flow requirements

RJDENNIS

Sounds like you mostly have what you need to give it a go. Where are your nitrates? I know when I had a FOWLR, they were often > 100. I'd start with a torch, frogspawn, or hammer. Those will be safe with your angel. Other LPS like chalices and acans will just be lunch. Same for zoas and plays. Eventually, you could do SPS corals when you feel that your tank is ready and when your skill level gets there.
I just checked my Alkalinity and Nitrates with my Red Sea test kit and Nitrates came back between 0-2 and my Alkalinity is 9