WTB: Computer nerdy/savvy person

Joe5688

Haha, just kidding, slavery is bad.

So about a year ago i built my own pc.

Here is whats in it

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)
Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin UDIMM Memory B
MSI Socket AM3+/AMD 760G/DDR3/CrossFireX/SATA3 and USB 3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard 760GMA-P34 (FX)
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM (Microsoft just forced update to windows 10)

The problem I'm having is that some times when it goes to sleep it doesn't wake back up. I never turn my PC off. It's on 24/7/365. My normal routine is to turn on my screen, jiggle my mouse and it wakes up and i start playing. Once in a while (more common now) I turn on the screen and it says it has no input. I push the button to try to turn it on/wake it up and nothing. I try to hold it and nothing. I have to manually switch off the power supply so i can restart the computer.

Any ideas? I've messed around w/ the sleep settings on my comp and power savings settings and it still does it. Drives me nuts lol.

Are you sure it's actually asleep and not something going on with your graphics card? Maybe try to ping it? The other option is to start by setting your sleep etc stuff to always on.

Fish_wiz2

Are you using the on-board graphics or a dedicated graphics card? To me this sounds like a GPU going out, but this really only happens to dedicated cards not the on-board one.

It's probably freezing up either from going to sleep or when trying to wake it up. I would try updating your BIOS, your chipset drivers, and your graphics card drivers. You can also prevent the system from going to sleep and just turn your monitors off when not in use.

Joe5688

It's probably freezing up either from going to sleep or when trying to wake it up. I would try updating your BIOS, your chipset drivers, and your graphics card drivers. You can also prevent the system from going to sleep and just turn your monitors off when not in use.
i should probably state i'm not tech savvy lol. How do i update everythign? lol

i should probably state i'm not tech savvy lol. How do i update everythign? lol
well you built your own PC so only you know what parts are in it...you can get the BIOS and chipset drivers from your motherboard's manufacturer website...graphics card (which is really the likely culprit) will be at your graphics card manufacturer's website...i have no idea if you have a dedicated graphics card or if it's on-board - if it's the latter then yo you can get that also from the motherboard manufacturer's...you might get lucky and do a Windows Update and it might find a Windows certified driver for your stuff (not a BIOS though) but those tend to be dated and missing features over going to your manufacturer website and getting drivers directly

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Whatever it is Joe I would start with updating your drivers. My wife's computer did this after updating to Windows 10.. Start with updating the display drivers. Try this

Right click on your Desktop - then click Screen Resolution

Click on the Advanced Settings

Click Properties under Adapter type

Go to Driver Tab

Update Driver

Search Automatically for Updated Driver.. let it go through and find the latest one..

It may or may not fix this...

Joe5688

Ive been holding off on dating to windows ten since it came out. Always choosing remind me later when it promted for update. The other day i just randpmly had winsows ten installed. I never chose it. My gma said same thing happened to her. This was an issue bedore the update. I do not have a graphics card. Never istalled one. Its off just the gpu?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
You should still be able to update your display drivers. Should be close to the same process on Win 10

-Right click desktop display settings

-Scroll Down - Advanced Display Sett.

- scroll down - Display Adapter Prop.

-Properties for adapter type

- Driver tab - Update Drivers.

Joe5688

checked for an updated driver but it's up to date. Looks like windows ten reset my Power saving settings so i changed it again. We'll see what happens.

Joe5688

looks like there is a bunch of updates for my motherboard. Gonna update and see what happens lol

Do you hear any clicking noises or strange sounds coming from the hard drive area? Refusing to wake from hibernate could be a hard drive issue. Especially since you have a seagate, they are known to have more drive issues. Just in case, back up any data you have on it. Especially since you said the issue is from before the Win10 Update.