Yellow water??

Jason7181

Yesterday I setup my new 90 gallon tank with 150lbs of dry rock and the water has turned yellow. Is this normal or is something wrong? Should I turn on my skimmer?

FishBeard

Did you rinse out all your dry rock with clean ro or di water first? Like REALLY clean it out? If not, I would probably drain what you can, rinse the dry rock out some more and then refill the tank again.

Jason7181

Yes I cleaned them with RO/DI water after the bleach and let them sit out a week. They were dry when I put them in ther.

FishBeard

If you have a carbon reactor, id try running a full canister of GAC on the tank for a few days and see if it clears up. If it has a chemical smell to the water now, I dont know if I would trust any of the water or the sand for that matter. Just doesnt sound right.

ColaAddict

If youre just starting to cycle, I would probably just leave it alone. That cycling water tends to get nasty anyway. That is why you want to use as little water as possible when cycling, so you don't waste your salt. just use enough to submerge the rocks and use a powerhead.

Jason7181

If you have a carbon reactor, id try running a full canister of GAC on the tank for a few days and see if it clears up. If it has a chemical smell to the water now, I dont know if I would trust any of the water or the sand for that matter. Just doesnt sound right.

The water smells like LR nothing else.

KiLaGo

There is a good youtube video on bulk reef supply about dry rock, curing it, and then cycling it. I just received some dry rock and I am letting it sit in salt water for two weeks with a heater and circulation, and then I am going to put it in one of my tanks to cycle. I am on day 10 of the two week curing process and the water the rock is in does have a faint yellow color to it. I've never used dry rock before, but the video said to cure it for two weeks in a seperate tank or bucket with no light, and then put it in your tank to cycle.

Jason7181

There is a good youtube video on bulk reef supply about dry rock, curing it, and then cycling it. I just received some dry rock and I am letting it sit in salt water for two weeks with a heater and circulation, and then I am going to put it in one of my tanks to cycle. I am on day 10 of the two week curing process and the water the rock is in does have a faint yellow color to it. I've never used dry rock before, but the video said to cure it for two weeks in a seperate tank or bucket with no light, and then put it in your tank to cycle.
Can you send me the link?