Yet another RC issue!!!

ColaAddict

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
- Zoanthids (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
- - Started dosing Vitamin C in my tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2011221)

bobbychullo 04/25/2011 12:27 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started dosing Vitamin C in my tank

was sick of getting random one or two polyp melts and one of my colonies was melting bad.

it has been about 2 weeks since i started and all my zoas/palys are open and looking great!

the melting colony stopped melting and is actually showing signs of growth.

i am using Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin C. dosing according to their directions. my water seems cleaner and my ORP is steadily rising.

maybe something you want to try if you're having issues with your zoas/palys. do a search and find the big thread on here, i think it was started by pufferpunk. its a good thing to read if you want to dose Vitamin C.

kichimark 05/12/2011 11:18 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a familiar face from the so. cal section. Hows it going? I also use the buffered Vit C that puffer mentioned. My tank is doing good with it. Keep us updated with how that particular product is doing for your tank.

dublo8 05/15/2011 11:32 PM

There is a familiar face from the so. cal section. Hows it going? I also use the buffered Vit C that puffer mentioned. My tank is doing good with it. Keep us updated with how that particular product is doing for your tank.
Yup, I used the same stuff. I still have 3 bottles of it left. I'm thinking of starting it agian as well.

OP: buy the stuff from that thread. It will last you a lot longer and save you in the pocketbook. I also have the brightwell stuff but it isn't as good and there are other things in it as well. It's not just vit c. but keep us posted, I had success with it as well, it's just tedious.

j5kidd 05/21/2011 09:43 AM

Does anyone have a link to the thread?

dublo8 05/21/2011 02:43 PM

Does anyone have a link to the thread?
Just search pufferpunk's name with vit c in the search field. It's a long read but totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinkcoral 05/21/2011 03:47 PM

kichimark and dublo8 where did you purchase the buffer vit c?

dublo8 05/22/2011 11:56 PM

kichimark and dublo8 where did you purchase the buffer vit c?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602494

Here is a link to the thread I was talking about. It's a couple splits deep but worth the read. The link for the online shop to buy the Vit C is in the thread as well. About every couple pages both johnl and pufferpunk go over the dosing regimen and also provide a link of where buy the vitamin c. You can use other stuff but this doesn't have any other additives and is already buffered properly. If you have more questions feel free to ask but that thread has more than enough info than you will ever need. I have talked with puffer several times about this and have employed this method for over a year on another tank with no ill affects and nothing but good things to say about it. I prefer this method over other forms of carbon dosing because of the added side benefit of the vit c.

I had several zoa colonies that completely changed colors after about 2 months of using this. One of which I thought was a brown zoa LOL that I had for about 6 months. It now has purple skirts w/ emerald and blue spot centers. It's not super bright but it definitely surprised me. I have since stopped vit c dosing due to upgrading tanks and will be starting again once I have my dosing regimen all worked out and things become 100% stable.

bobbychullo 05/23/2011 12:57 AM

hey, thanks for the responses

that thread by pufferpunk is a long one!

i'm still going. i do 2 drops in the morning and 2 drops in the evening. according to brightwell that is 4 ml. i am definitely dosing on the higher end but my zoas/palys and my LPS are all doing great so i don't plan on stopping. i thought of stopping for 2 weeks to a month to see if there are any changes but since everything looks good i'm just gonna keep with it.

my melting colony has slow growth (before it never showed any signs of growth) and inflates a lot more than it ever did, much healthier.

my tank has recently seen a spurt of growth on all corals but its hard to attribute it to just the Vit C since i recently added another MP10ESw to my tank (two total) and I think the more variable flow is helping as well.

A. Grandis 05/24/2011 12:06 AM

My experiences with vitamin C were really bad. Hair algae boom!!!
Could be coincidence.
I've used also the Brightwell's brand.

Grandis.

bobbychullo 05/24/2011 10:58 PM

i've read there is a chance of an algae bloom. you're supposed to slowly build the dose but i messed up on my math the first time and basically dosed the max amount right away :/

i didn't have any issues. i feed heavy as well and always walk the line of too much nutrients. I am going to scale back my feeding amounts and see if there's any change.

my ORP has steadily risen since dosing Vit C. it was consistently 280-310, usually right in the middle in the 290's. now it stays 310-330, hits 330 at night drops to about 315 during the day. my probe is due for recalibrating so hopefully this isn't just an issue because of that. but it did only start rising since using the vitamin C and it is still slowly rising although at a much slower rate now.

A. Grandis 05/25/2011 03:16 AM

In my case the boom didn't happen at first. It took a while to really hit.
Just have that in mind.
I don't dose vitamin C anymore because of that.

Grandis.

650-IS350 05/25/2011 11:29 AM

Just constantly watch your parameters.... just an advice.

Tenor 05/29/2011 09:05 PM

hey, thanks for the responses

that thread by pufferpunk is a long one!

i'm still going. i do 2 drops in the morning and 2 drops in the evening. according to brightwell that is 4 ml.
Are you using this one?

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/vitamarinct.php

If yes you need 8 drops for 1ml

bobbychullo 05/31/2011 03:22 AM

yea, you know i just realized that tonight lol. i have cut back to one drop in the morning and one at night, i was starting to get bacteria on my sand bed. it cleared up in a day or so when i reduced the dose a hair.

i think i am going to slowly reduce my vit c dosing and switch over to vinegar. i'm curious to see what happens if i try a different carbon source.

KoralKeith 06/08/2011 02:34 AM

Very interesting

dublo8 06/11/2011 01:27 AM

bobby how is the dosing going for you? Just curious on an update.

Dana42078 06/11/2011 01:43 AM

pix would help too...before /after?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

** So above is a thread that I started following in RC, it's about VC dosing and puffers name came up. I merely wrote this:
"Too bad puffer isn't here anymore, I think she didn't get along with the mods. She's with a local forum here if you guys want to contact her let me know. she's the one to ask questions when it comes to Vit C dosing, I know it's a type of carbon dosing and you can have a bacterial bloom if you increase too fast and don't have a skimmer, just like any carbon dosing (ie. vodka/vinegar/bio pellets)."
then for some reason I got a warning from one of the mods and all the stuff I wrote got deleted by the mod. Can anyone tell me what rule I broke writing that? Sometimes I feel like getting together with one of my lawyer buddy and see if I can file a lawsuit with this restriction of my freedom of speech. I did not start talking about puffer, other people did. I merely mentioned that I know how to contact her. Is that bad thing? I thought that forum was all about helping other reefers?

FishBeard

Dude, as far as I'm concerned the management at RC is full of crap. I joined the site after months of browsing the place as a guest, 3 posts and 8 hours later I was banned from the site for nothing more than introducing myself in the CMAS area. I emailed to ask why I was banned and never got a response. The site is a joke these days anyway, as strict as their "selling/buying" policy is and you go into any regional forum there and 99% of the threads are classified ads or want to buy posts.

My advice, skip the drama and stick to the other local forms (CR & UF) Way less drama, and the people worth dealing with on RC are here as well.

ColaAddict

Actually the reason I was given for my warning is this:
"some things are better left alone" by a mod named "dc"
does anybody think that that's a good enough reason to warn someone or take out their post. sounds like a power trip warning to me. I asked him/her to specify the rule that I broke and I haven't gotten a response back. I don't think those mods respond back anyway. I also told him that if he has anyone else he can give as a resource regarding VC, then he can chime into the thread, instead of taking out my post, which is meant to help people who want to know more about VC dosing, again, no response from hime, nor has he offered his opinion/expertise to the thread.

ColaAddict

Oh trust me, your name is being mentioned alot, especially with the vitamin C dosing threads, new threads about VC dosing are still coming up and your name being mentioned in all of them. The only thing that got me a warning is mentioning that I know where to look for you, because some people want to ask you questions, so I merely mentioned that you belong to a different forum now and I know how to contact you, then I got a warning. I don't think that was fair.

Pufferpunk

Someone needs to repost the dosing info again on that thread:

VITAMIN C DOSING CHART
Here are the directions:
Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=10178&at=0
$5 off coupon code: LUL789

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily (down to 2-3 ppm works also). If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 or lower if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread, also for better health/coloration of your fish. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Higher doses of as much as 100ppm (for about 2 weeks) for fish illness. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom (white stringy stuff) or increased scum on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water then pour into overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors. *Keep your Vitamin C bottle in the refrigerator. * If you have a question, ask here. I do my best to check these threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills or liquid supplements (not nearly enough VC in there) and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

ColaAddict

Is this an updated info? I think your old guidelines are still there. People are saying they still read it. Ill check

Pufferpunk

Just needs to be posted every few pages, is all. You can go ahead & PM folks who still have Qs, as to where to find me if you want.

ColaAddict

Some have asked me how to contact you and everytime I PM them that youre a moderator on chicagoreefs.com, the PM is somehow changed from chicagoreefs.com --to-- reefcentral.com
Is that legal of them to be able to change somebody's PM message?

Pufferpunk

Their site's word censor will automatically change words they don't want posted. Maybe use chicago-reefs & tell them to remove the dash.

Bwidner

What's UF? I got the warning with the same reason when I asked what mcf was on the cmas forums....thats when I got a nice PM and was directed here/

FishBeard

UF = Uberfrags (another somewhat chicago-centric reef forum) MCF = Midwest Coral Farms (one of my personal favorite brick and mortar coral stores ever!)

Bwidner

Was unaware of uber frags will have to check it out, yes MCF is def one of the best actual stores out there, I have been very happy with everything I have purchased form them in the last two months, minus the acan frag something flipped upside down while I was at work....of course it died, but hey thats not their fault other than having a super nice looking frag that was so small.

scotty

ok so to test this, i actually went over there a couple days ago and created a login, and put pufferpunk as my refrence, and got 3 emails saying my IP was banned from the site. just wow.

good thing the maniacs haven't figured out that someone with any knowledge of computers can get around that really really easy.

Pufferpunk

I registered under a different name just to view the posts there. At my very 1st post, I got banned again with a message: "We don't believe you".

ColaAddict

That's coz your IP address is flagged, so anybody that uses your computer will have the same IP and will automatically get blocked.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
This is perfect timing. I'm having some issues with some of my zoas and palys not opening anymore.
Jeni, do you know if the NutriBiotic, Sodium Ascorbate, Crystalline Powder can be found in a store (like CVS or Walgreens)?

scotty

you can proxy onto their servers np.

there are ways to bounce your ip all over the place too.
also can ask your ISP to change it if you really love RC that much, which can be a pain.