zoa pox

jcarlilesiu

Never heard of this until recently. While my tank was without lights for nearly a week, a large colony of zoas as closed and been covered in these little white lesions.

We dipped it in a coral dip last night, but I think we are going to try some other dips like Furan2.

Really upset about this one. We grew this zoa from a frag of 4 heads to a colony of hundreds. I hope they can be saved.

Anybody with experience with zoa pox?

jcarlilesiu

I have eradicated it with Furan 2 dips & 100ppm VC.
How many dips in furan2 and at the recommended concentration?

I am going to try and pick up some Furan2 today at noon when I leave work. Do you know anywhere locally that it can be purchased? I am in the city.

jcarlilesiu

I have a bottle of the stuff if you need some. I used a Salifert scoop/cup.
Im not sure what you mean by scoop/cup?

I guess I just don't know the process or the product to understand what I need to do.

Do you have a few of the furan2 packets that I can buy off of you? Where are you located?

Pufferpunk

A Salifert spoon per cup of tank water. I don't have packets, I have a container of powder. You will soak the corals for 1/2 hour in it. Keep them in QT with VC levels up to 100ppm.

My location is under my avatar. ;)

jcarlilesiu

A Salifert spoon per cup of tank water. I don't have packets, I have a container of powder. You will soak the corals for 1/2 hour in it. Keep them in QT with VC levels up to 100ppm.

My location is under my avatar. ;)
Got it.

What is "VC"?

I will set up my 10 gallon QT tonight and get it going and prepared for the zoas. I will then soak them in the Furan2 solution for 30 minutes and then move them to QT. How many soakings will it take usually, and how often? Daily? Weekly?

Do I need to create a new soaking solution each time, or soak them in the same Furan2 water each time?

Pufferpunk

New solution each time.

Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).
Keep refrigerated.

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc. No need to be exact--I usually round to the nearest 1/4 tsp.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day. Try for at least one dose being done during lights out, as VC absorbs better in the dark.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do NOT dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

jcarlilesiu

Good deal.

I think that I am going to need quite a bit of the Furan2 though, since the colony is fairly large and on a good size piece of LR.

I will have to put about a gallon or so of water in a 5 gallon bucket to get it soaked fully. As such, with one scope per cup, and with multiple soaking this is going to take a bit of powder.

If you don't have enough, thats fine Ill order some.

Once the pox start, how long do I have?

Tangency

Puffer -

Unfortunately, I think my Zoas have the fugus too. I'm not sure how quick it spreads but there are white spots (that look like googled zoa pox images) on some of the polyps I have. The polyps with the spots no longer open.

Thank you for sharing all the information you did. It has helped a lot.

Do you still have that Bottle for sale? otherwise how many boxes of Furan 2 do you suggest for a treatment?

Tangency

I still have plenty.
I didn't mean to hijack a thread and take all of your medicine.
Are you willing to sell enough to treat 3 frags worth (or the rest of your bottle)? If not thats cool I can always order some Furan 2 but would like to know how much to buy.

If so, How much are you asking? When would be a good time to stop by?

Pufferpunk

LOL, I wasn't gonna give you all of it, don't worry. It's a big bottle, I'm sure I have plenty to give you enough to treat your zoas. I don't need your $$$.
How about Saturday?