Zoas and Acans not doing well - why?

jfmkem82

I have added some Zoas and Acans to my 75 gl tank. I bought them on Friday at the Aquatic Experience show and they were looking great on display. I have had them in my tank for a week now so I figure they should be acclimated. When I first got them home I made sure to slow introduce the water from my tank to the containers they were in. Neither seems to want to open up. I was told to put them in an area of moderate flow near the bottom of the tank since I was told they don't need tremendous amount of light.

Everything else, including a Frog Spawn I bought is doing well. My fish seem content - eating just fine. Water chemistry is in the range everyone here on the board seems to recommend. I'm running 2 Ai Primes at 65% max for the Blues, Violets, &UV and 30% for the white (trying to minimize green algae). I've got the lights on for 11 hrs a day.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be testing for anything besides Ca = 420, Alk =160, PO4, Temp = 78, Nitrate = < 0.5, Ammonia =0

Pics taking just now Nov 11th . They're oriented sideways and a bit blurry. In the 1st pic the Acan is below and slightly to viewers left of the small Zoa on the frag plug - View attachment 18993View attachment 18994

Irsug1

Premium member
I'm not sure about your issue. But I think you should turn those lights up higher.
Those zoas look like they are stretching for light.

fit

Could you repeat your Alk and PO4 levels. Those seem to be typos.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

wrasse

Did you buy the Zoa's and Acan's from the same vendor? The frog spawn from a different vendor?
Sometimes they just need to come around.

jfmkem82

Could you repeat your Alk and PO4 levels. Those seem to be typos.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Oops...just noticed that. PO4 is 0ppm, Alk is 9dKH or 160ppm, Ca is 420ppm, Nitrate is 0, and Ammonia is 0

- - - Updated - - -

Did you buy the Zoa's and Acan's from the same vendor? The frog spawn from a different vendor?
Sometimes they just need to come around.
Zoas and Frog Spawn from same vendor. Acans from another.

wrasse

Take another picture of your tank not so close up to the corals.
Looks like you have a decent amount of algae in the tank which Points to low nutrients not being the problem.
If nutrients is a problem, you could always try to spot feed the corals something like reef chilli.

jfmkem82

Take another picture of your tank not so close up to the corals.
Looks like you have a decent amount of algae in the tank which Points to low nutrients not being the problem.
If nutrients is a problem, you could always try to spot feed the corals something like reef chilli.
Here are some other pics. Yes, I do have some algae on the rocks. I turned the white lights up so images are brighter.View attachment 19009View attachment 19010View attachment 19011View attachment 19012View attachment 19013

Last edited: