Zoas are coming back

kratos1028

I'm kind of surprised to find my zoas coming back that I had completely fragged off from the rocks during my big sale. Even my nightmares (they are very sensitive) came back and they came back as a nice colony from a tiny mat that was left after I thought I had scraped it all from the rock.

On top of that nice surprise, this all happened even after switching to eBay lights and using tap water exclusively for water changes and topping off. Didn't think it would be this easy to keep zoas. I don't know why I went all out before lol

Cub21rak

Lol yea you did put a lot of time and money into keeping your tank top notch. But hey putting less effort and getting things to grow back is awesome for ya

Spartanman22

Some zoas are just impossible to kill. I had a large rock that was covered in brown button polyps. When I tore down the tank two years ago I bleached, rinsed, bleached, rinsed and sun dried then store the rocks dry for two years. Well I just put that rock in my new setup and have one of those brown button polyps pop up out of the rock. This happened before any additions so there was no way it came as a hitchhiker on something I purchased. I still find this impossible and can't believe it happened.

kratos1028

Button polyps are different from the pricier zoas out there. I know button polyps can survive pretty much anything and that's why I consider them the herpes of the zoas/palys. I have green implosions and they survived a lot of torture.

There are some out there that if you touch them with a blade or even look at them wrong, they will melt on you. Nightmares are one of them ime which is why I was kind of shocked. I also have my colony of tyree orange rainbows growing back with a few others.

Spartanman22

I know what you mean I've got a couple that if you just look at wrong they'll start melting. I've got one frag that hasn't opened in 3-4 months. But then there's some that no matter what you do you just can't get rid of