Zoas Wont Stay Open

I had quite a few different types of zoas in my display and could not figure out why they wouldn’t stay open. I finally attributed it to my Flame Angel. I have since placed them into my sump on a frag rack underneath a par38 bulb. It’s been almost a week now and I still can not get them to stay open. Everything else seems happy. Mixed reef, salinity: 1.026, Calcium: 420, Alk: 7.8 Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

tinman

I had quite a few different types of zoas in my display and could not figure out why they wouldn’t stay open. I finally attributed it to my Flame Angel. I have since placed them into my sump on a frag rack underneath a par38 bulb. It’s been almost a week now and I still can not get them to stay open. Everything else seems happy. Mixed reef, salinity: 1.026, Calcium: 420, Alk: 7.8 Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Most possibly your water is too clean
Or if that flame angel caused too much damage it will take some time to rev up again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bboyeze57

Flow? Placement? Is your Alk generally stable? For me, i found out that placement and flow were the biggest contributing factors in polyp happiness

GugsJr

TeamCR
Have you tested your Phos and nitrates? I have my zoa frags in my sps frag rack and they handle the flow fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have them in low flow. I haven’t tested nitrates recently but the tank is 1.5 years old and I generally have issues keeping nitrates in the tank. As for phos I haven’t tested lately. So Tinman may be correct that my tank is too clean

Amozoc

Premium member
I got same problem tank to
Clean my frogspawn fully open and other corals , my tests which i check every week and eater change every 8 weeks in my 20 gl tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

Last edited:

carpetreef75

Premium member
Give it some time your flame angel caused too much damage and will take a few weeks to come around , I have a rock with 200 Bam Bams and my Regal Angel who is now rehomed in a fish only tank managed to feed off the buffet all night and didn't leave not even 1 untouched and hes been gone 3 weeks now and just about all opened up again back to norm. put your water test away and give it a lil time
Bryan