1 system 2 displays

anarchy

Get as many good hitchhikers out as I can. Kill the rock and start the cubes up with freshly dipped coral and the dead rock

anarchy

+1 on the research. Lot of ways to skin this cat.

At first glance:
Skimmer: SCA 301 or 302 if your sump is large,
Sump: the biggest you can fit in the stand. Maximize water volume
Fuge: yes should be part of the sump, maybe use a 40b and build Fuge/ sump
Circulation: what Ted said
Return: DC 3000
Media: run k1 or hel-x media
I'm pretty happy with this list. Maybe a few modifications to it but for the most part I like it.

This is going to be a long and slow build. Taking my time on everything.

First things first I'm building a 78x30x34 stand to hold all 3 nanos. I'll have plenty of room inside stand for all my sumps, ato, and QT.

If anyone has an idea on what led lights to run that won't cost an arm and a leg I'd like to upgrade all my halides. If money doesn't allow the upgrade then I still have 4 250w halides to use.

Any comments or suggestions to help the build would be appreciated

Top Water

I have to agree with most of what Ted has said in this thread. If you think it cost a lot now going too fast will only cost a lot more in $ and frustration . It's ok to hold on to the tank and get situated and comfortable first. Some of us have paid the price and only trying to help you learn from our mistakes. There have been a lot a people that burn out of the hobby because they turn it into too much work and not just enjoying it .

anarchy

I have to agree with most of what Ted has said in this thread. If you think it cost a lot now going too fast will only cost a lot more in $ and frustration . It's ok to hold on to the tank and get situated and comfortable first. Some of us have paid the price and only trying to help you learn from our mistakes. There have been a lot a people that burn out of the hobby because they turn it into too much work and not just enjoying it .
I agree with you and ted. The past couple months I've made some mistakes going too quickly, but I've also learned from them. Now I'm going slow and steady. I know the maintenance involved but I also try to stick to a routine and haven't had any quality issues. Only pests, which I'm hoping won't be a problem from here on out since I'll be dipping coral and have a QT. And buying quality equipment with backups should stop catastrophic events from happening. I've been trying to get my tanks setup the right way the first time so I don't run into issues like the overflowing 27. Now I shouldn't have those kinds of problems. Hopefully over the next few months of getting the equipment and starting the build you guys will see that I'm doing things the right way instead of the cheap way before

Dude I'll help ya out but you gotta pick your two tanks or return the deep blue for a 75 or something and use your 29 for the sump and run the 27 cube I just drilled for you as your frag tank... 3 is wayyyyyy to much work and will kill your fun... You have stared into my 93 both times you've come over... The reason it's looking so good and pest free is because It took a year of rules and guidelines I follow consistently... I honestly wish I would have bought a 90 instead of my 180 and set it up on the other side of the room without having to transfer the 93 because I hate to tear it apart and risk hurting what I've worked hard for ill show you how to build a tank like mine but if you going to have it forever build it right I'm not gonna waste my time ghetto rigging edit... We can follow a budget as well but patience is a virtue

Last edited by a moderator:

anarchy

Ted got me thinking about running both cubes off a single sump so I took it a step further. See what you guys think about this

I'll have a 29gal fuge that will drain into the 29gal sump since both are drilled on the back and all the equipment will be housed in the sump. Drains are all 1" returns will be 3/4". There's ball valves on each pipe to adjust for flow. The sump will only be a little over half full so it won't overflow in a power outage. Ato in sump. I'll run the reef octopus 125 I have, titanium heater, and possibly 2 jebao dc3000 one for each tank to insure I have enough flow

anarchy

Mods if you could change the title to "1 system 2 displays" it'd be much appreciated. I'm combining my 2 builds into one. Thanks in advance.

anarchy

Ok so after alot of collaboration here is the terrible sketch of the new design.

A lot of people are not going to be able to decipher that so. Each drain will split and one will drain to sump and the other to the fuge. There will be ball valves on each drain pipe. One tank will drain more into the sump and the other tank will drain more to the fuge. The returns will have a ball valve on them. Basically everything is the same except the drains. Some were worried about too much draining into filter causing an overflow and others were worried about too much flow through fuge and not enough contact time with chaeto and such.

SkullV

Unnecessarily complicated, people have a fuge in the middle section of their sump all the time (including me). If you don't mind the complexity then go for it, but also keep in mind that each ball valve, union, bend, etc. creates a restriction.

anarchy

Unnecessarily complicated, people have a fuge in the middle section of their sump all the time (including me). If you don't mind the complexity then go for it, but also keep in mind that each ball valve, union, bend, etc. creates a restriction.
I thought the same thing. And I don't think any pipes would clog since I run the plastic cone shaped screens on my drains. I thought the first idea was fine or do I still need one tank draining to sump and one tank to fuge or just both to fuge. There is 2 1" bulkheads on the back of my fuge that will connect to the 2 1" bulkheads on the back of the sump. And imo with a ball valve and union on each pipe there should be no chance of overflow

anarchy

Frame is finished. Haven't been spending time on this. Had to work on my truck. But once I get back from vacation next weekend then I'll finish up the stand and getting all the equipment. Looking at adding water sept 1

anarchy

Do you guys think my reef octopus 125 will be a big enough skimmer or should I get the sca 302

anarchy

Been thinking about stocking options and here's what I've decided on.

My 2 snowflakes
Horned blenny
Hi fin red banded goby

My 2 ocellaris clowns
Starry blenny
Yasha white ray shrimp goby

And I'm going to get a white banded possum wrasse that I'll move back and forth to keep the bristleworms in check

Let me know what you guys think

SkullV

List looks fine. I'd consider getting the possum for the 24" cube and something else for the 30" 29g. Maybe a small coris wrasse or something along those lines.