1990JPYP 40G Breeder Build

1990JPYP

Well this all started with a move. Ive got a 55g Tank that has been set up for about 7 years. Ive never had an issue with it but, being that ive gotta move the tank might as well build a new one and fix some of my rookie mistakes.

Plans:

40g Breeder- Thank you Petco $1 per gallon sale
20G Sump- Again thank you Petco
Reef Breeder Photon 24
Original thought was CPR90 overflow- Changed to a Glass-Holes 1500gph dual overflow
Reef Octopus Classic 110
ReefKeeper Lite
Mag 7- return.

The building begins:

After changing my mind on going from a HOB Overflow to a Glass holes kit I forgot I would have to drill this myself. First time Ive ever had to drill glass and now I have to drill 2 holes into a tank.

After like 10 min of drilling. I went really slow.

Bulkheads installed:

Plumbing:

Running some RO thru the tank to test everything out before final placement.

Final filling- Running the Ro right into the tank. I didnt feel like mixing 10-12 5g buckets of salt at a time so Im going to mix about 30-35g in the tank itself then the rest in the buckets.

Playing with the settings and the Remote on the RBLED

Filling up fast.

I will take a FTS once all the water is filled and ive got everthing cleaned up. Now for the Cycle process.

Darienreefs7

Wow looking good! Just to check is the gasket for your bulkheads inside your tank? Just wondering because normally the flange side goes on the inside of your tank and the nut goes on the outside. Stand looks great btw!

1990JPYP

Wow looking good! Just to check is the gasket for your bulkheads inside your tank? Just wondering because normally the flange side goes on the inside of your tank and the nut goes on the outside. Stand looks great btw!
Yes, gasket is on both inside and outside of tank. I followed the GH instructions for the install. I thought it looked a bit weird but, if it was the other way my tank would have to sit another 2" away from the wall.

1990JPYP

Transfer date is March 13th. I took a few days off work to get everything done.

I've gotta set up a QT tank for the fish that are coming over. I also need to figure out the best way to get about 70#'s of LR here then take down the old 55g and get all that equipment here so I can sell/trade it.

1990JPYP

About a week ago I grabbed some cheato, some rubble &, the hermits out of the old tank and tossed it all in the sump. No issues so far. Cycle completed 2 days prior to me adding them. Moving date is planed for Saturday or Sunday depending on how things go.

New vs old photos will be up after the move is completed. Plus there will be some used equipment up for sale as well.

1990JPYP

Anybody have any recommendations on a quite return pump? The mag 7 is a bit to loud for my family room. I will keep the Mag7 for a back up because it is new.

1990JPYP

A few tank shots since everything has been moved in.

Frogspawn has seen much better days.

Wife stopped by BTR and picked these up along with 3 chromis's

Side shots

I also had my first big issue. Came homew last night after dinner and the whole tank was off. The Finnex heater keeps tripping the GFCI. Tried it on a regular outlet, and it trips the breaker. Gottaa get it replaced now. Didn't last long ...

1990JPYP

Long long over due update.

Tank is still running. Pretty much ran on Auto pilot, hence the neglect.

Not to many changes since last update.
New jeabo RW8 power head
Poor mans ATO unit running flawlessly as long as I fill it with RO
Yellow Tang added a while back
Torch coral and Kenya tree doing great.
GFO/carbon filter added

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way here are a few photo updates.

Last edited:

1990JPYP

Quick little update on the tank:

Did a 5g water change- big deal for me. 2nd week in a row getting this task done.
Fully cleaned the Octo110. Completely removed and scrubbed down.
Cleaned up the wires. Got crazy over the past year or so.

While doing all this cleaning it got me to thinking about the Fuge light. Currently it's got a spiral cfl, anybody running an LED fuge light? Converted the whole house to LED except this bulb except this one.

Suggestions on LED? Pro's vs Con's?

Thinking about a LFS visit this week. I need to buy myself a few new coral/fish additions.