24g NanoCube Round 2

Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd start a post with updates on my 24 gallon nano cube.

Recap
I've had the tank for maybe 6 or 7 years, most of which it was a healthy running system. In the last year I was busy with work mostly and lost interest in the tank. The Compact fluorescents were in dire need of a changing, not to mention one of the fans was completely out and the other hummed loudly. I lost pretty much all of my coral except a few heads of frogspawn and mushroom coral.

Round 2
I started with a good cleaning of the tank and everything. I replaced the bulbs and fans. While the clear plastic cover was removed I used a headlight restoration kit I had laying around to make the yellow faded plastic clear once again. With the fresh water and light my clownfish and damsel started looking healthy again, along with the coral that survived. Now that the tank has been running for a Month, I tested the water and it was okay. I have now added a few frags, a few more pounds of rock, and a clean up crew to it. Hoping to get this thing looking good again!

Here is a picture after the deep clean
View attachment 15565

Here are pictures of it after I rearranged the rock tonight (still a little cloudy and the corals are still closed). Also these pictures are with the new bulbs.
View attachment 15566

View attachment 15563

View attachment 15567

I will post a picture tomorrow afternoon after the corals open up.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Nice redo, pretty cool to see small tanks staying up this long too, 6-7 years for a nano is a very good run and it has a second life now :D

Thank you, I am still deciding what I am going to fill this tank with. I am thinking about going with mostly zoas and starting a frag tank, or using this nanocube as a frag tank. I would like a tank that is glass with better lighting but will wait a few months or until I see something I like pop up for sale on here. Trying to hold my self back from impulse buying lol.

Heres a picture of my emerald crab. I've had emeralds before but never have they been this active and friendly. I can reach in the tank and move things around near him and he just carries on with what he is doing. Also I am surprised how well this blue Stylo frag is doing.

Good Morning, just curious how long you guys with Nano Cubes CF are running your lights for each day. Thanks

Last edited:

Paulip

That leather between the torch coral and your stylo will probably result in chemical warfare from both sides. Same with the Kenya trees in the back. Soft corals are difficult that way.

Keep the stylo up there. Torch on middle right. Softs on the middle left. IMHO. I hope I haven't broken reef keeping etiquette.

Last edited:
Thanks everythings a little temporary right now. I need to remove all the mushroom coral before I have room to set things where I want em. Also a few more pounds of rock

If anyone is local and wants a free clown, damsel, and green striped mushroom coral tonight please pm me. also free tomorrow 3/5/16

Last edited:

Drove out to East Troy Wi and picked up a bunch of nice zoas. I'll post a picture tomorrow when theyre all open and acclimated. Also wanted to thank Fabio at Seven Seas for my 6 line, If you havent been there it is a great place to check out!

Paulip

Be careful adding more rock and frags. Deep cleaning the sand will become a bear. And, that will become a ticking time bomb for nutrients and cyano. It may be time for that frag tank you wanted. Your live rocks will be an excellent seed for the fuge.

Otherwise, nice collection.

Last edited: