24g NanoCube Round 2

[MENTION=3584]Paulip[/MENTION] I'm supposed to be cleaning the sand? I thought the only time to disturb it was when you are moving/switching tanks. I do all my water changes threw the back and try to touch the display as little as possible.

Paulip

You are not entirely wrong in having left the sand alone and your tank does look healthy. Google: "Deep Sand Bed" which was great in theory, but difficult in practice. Nowadays, people just have deep sand beds in thier sump.

Yes. It is good practice to deep clean with a vacuum siphon. Some people do it monthly with the WC. Use a gravel vac that directs the water OUT of the tank and not back into the tank. But, go slow and thorough and follow up with a water change.

When you start siphoning, you are going to release major pockets of nutrients and anaerobic bacteria into the water column. Some corals may feed on this, some corals could get pissed, and some corals (the more delicate) could actually die from it. If this sand has been packed live for 6-7 years with nutrients, there are major colonies of cyano in there. I wouldn't know what to do. You might find Jimmy Hoffa.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I looked into the Deep Sand Bed but as with everything on the internet people argued both sides. I did clean and flush out the sand when I redid my tank and got all the detritus out (There was a lot). I read some people just use a power head and blast under the rock scape before doing a water change to stir up the loose detritus so I am probably going to try that and see how much junk is hiding. Also my sand is only 1" so maybe my clean up crew stirs it up enough?

Paulip

1" isn't much. I wouldn't worry. However, too much detritus may cause a bacterial bloom which could harm acropora and other delicate sps. I would skip some feedings after the detritus storm and WC to let the water burn off nutrients a little. Also, change the carbon on that day but use a half dose to start. I always ramp up and not start at full dose of anything.

Btw, check out Spartanman's classified in the marketplace forum. In my opinion, the most compact coral trader/collector setup. You are obviously addicted. I have been web shopping/researching a better setup. Very hard to beat without spending crazy money.

And, he is selling stuff at an incredible deal. I will probably kick myself later for not getting his stuff. I have seen the setup and it is neat.

He is on the opposite side of town, though. Cool guy to deal with.

Last edited:
Some of my sps recently started bleaching. I treated with chemiclean for 4 days and now things are back to normal, hopefully everything recovers

tinman

Some of my sps recently started bleaching. I treated with chemiclean for 4 days and now things are back to normal, hopefully everything recovers

you treated with chemiclean for 4 days for what buddy ? and what do you think is the relation between bleached sps and your choosing chemiclean ?

( ** i didnt read the whole thread** will read thru now)

I ordered some macroalgae off reef2reef and within 2-3 days after exposing it to my tank everything started going to shit. I took it out and did a big water change maybe 75% then treated with chemiclean and changed the water again and I am back on track according to the way my corals look (I have not tested the water for anything yet). Some things that i noticed after the macro were, No sps polyps/bleaching and dead flesh on lps. even my zoas looked stressed. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

superjulio5

I have a 29 gal nano and I don't know what kind of filtration system I need all that is growing is nothing but aptasia can someone give me a tip how I can get rid of the aptasia and what do you guys suggest me for filtration. In advance thank you for time

I have a 29 gal nano and I don't know what kind of filtration system I need all that is growing is nothing but aptasia can someone give me a tip how I can get rid of the aptasia and what do you guys suggest me for filtration. In advance thank you for time
For filtration I removed all the sponges and I bought a media basket for the rear chamber. Here is a link to the one for the tank I assume you have http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Coralife-Biocube-29-Media-Basket-CL29MR.htm
Its a little pricey and you could def make one out of eggcrate for a few dollars if you wanted. I run purigen, carbon, filter floss, and sometimes GFO.

As for aptaisia I've never had to deal with more then a few so I can not direct you to a solution. When I have run into them over the years I use a small insulin syringe and inject them with vinegar. This has worked for me and usually kills them on the first try. If you do not have coral it might be easier to try a more aggressive aproach and remove the rock and scrub/freeze them. This would cause a lot of die off and you would have to recycle your tank for a month or so to get the bacteria growth back up and do a water change or two to get everything to balance back out. I have no clue how bad your aptasia problem is but this would give you a chance to vacuum out your sandbed if your tank has been set up for a long time.

I have not really looked into mass aptaisa extermination but I'm sure you can find some good ideas online. Once you have them gone I'd recommend getting a pepermint shrimp to help control future breakouts.

Last edited: