28G Nano Cube Reef Start Up

MAERAK

Edit:

I'm new to all of this, but luckily I'm getting some help from some friends and was hoping to get your thoughts as well.

Tank is going, waiting for it to cylce (if it does). Pics and stuff in thread.

As mentioned below: thanks to Green0j0s suggestion, I will most likely upgrade to a RapidLED retrofit in July.

All opinions and suggestions are more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reeferman

I'd consider doing a LED build out if you have time. The quad setup is okay but an LED retrofit in my opinion is the way to go.

MAERAK

Thanks for the response. I was planning to go LED down the line. Right now, just looking to get it going and cycled.

Green0j0s

I recently did an LED retrofit into my Nanocube and the corals seems to have taken to it right away. Frogspawn and Hammers open up way more and a couple of the Zoa's and Paly's I have have started to spread/grow.

I installed a RapidLED Dimmable kit.

GBeck87

+1 Green i did a retro for my BC 29 and my corals both sps and lps just love it man. Completely worth every penny

Green0j0s

No I customized mine.

8 Royal Blue
6 Cool White
4 Blue
2 Neutral White
2 UV
1 Red
1 Green

I think though I should have deleted the red and green and maybe have gone for 2 more UV instead. I might order those replacement LEDs later on and see how I like that but I love it as is right now too.

I haven't powered them on over 60% yet.

MAERAK

Just picked up some dry rock (about half of what I'll need) and threw it into my buddy's refugium on his 7 year old healthy tank to let it seed. Would two weeks be long enough?

MAERAK

So even though my tank is still sitting in a box waiting to move to my new place. I picked up some live stock recently and threw them in my friends tank, a duncan, some zoas, and a couple others along with 2 pretty cool clowns, a buck shot and a snowflake. I'll post pictures tonight if anyone wants to see them.

CoralN00b

Hi maereck,

I recently did a new sand bed in my 28 gal cube and I went with 30 lbs of sand.

The 20 just wasn't enough. I have about an inch and a half on mine. So my opinion is at least 30 lbs but you may end up wanting more if you want a deeper bed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MAERAK

Tank is up and going, should i expect a cycle if i put in live rock, live sand mixed with established tank sand (a couple cups) and 10 gallons of his aquarium water? I've seen dead copepods and left them in to decay. I also assume the live rock had some die off. I dont know if seeing a ton of bristelworms and little critters on the rocks are any indication of anything either? I've done tests over the past three days and nothing has peaked. I figure I'll just go grab a damsel to create some more waste. Any thoughts?

CoralN00b

I bought my tank used and it came with crushed coral and sand. I have a 28 Gal also. I used about 15 gallons of the guys's current water and then the rest was new water, just as you did. I picked up two domino damsels to put in my tank for finishing off the cycle. I did not have any issues with that. Once my levels were all good, I picked up a CUC and then started adding fish slowly. I would get the damsel and watch it closely over the next week or so but it sounds like you should be ok.

How much sand and rock did you end up using?

MAERAK

Awesome, thanks for the response. I ended up putting in 20lbs of Reef grade Caribsea and a couple pounds of sand from my friends 7 year old tank to start and it seems to be just the right amount for me. I'll post pics tonight. I have about 15lbs of rock in there currently and was going to pick up 10-15 more from a LFS on my way home from work tomorrow. I ended up grabbing a chromis (the store I went to didn't have much) and a crab to get things moving, the store gave me 4 hermits for 2 bucks, dont know if thats good or bad bc I don't know if there's enough to eat for them, we'll see.

CoralN00b

That's awesome. You definitely need some more rock in there but you have a plan and it looks good. The crabs are a good idea.

I see you are in Chicago. Which store are you going to? I live in Chicago too. In bridgeport, right down the street from Comiskey Park.

That's a good price on the hermits. They will scavange the tank for stuff that shouldn't be in there.