60G Cube Dream Tank!

xtlosx

Hey everyone!!

I've been lurking here for a few months, have a Fluval Edge reef tank, and a 36G bow front, that just wasn't cutting it for me... I was using mechanical filtration, etc and eventually knew I wanted to upgrade to a sump\fuge setup for my dream reef. I went out for a couple lbs of live rock today for the 36G tank, and came home with this, MarineLand 60G cube & stand! I picked it up for $399.99 on sale, which for my area is actually pretty reasonable. I made some stupid newbie mistakes, and the more and more hours I spend looking at the forums, I see some amazing looking tanks... This time around, I am going SUPER slow (my wife can't wait to see the patience blossom, and not making ANY needless mistakes).

We positioned the stand, got the tank on it, and started the leak test today.. So far so good... Over the next couple of days I will be asking for some help, and appreciate any feedback, so anything is appreciated.

Some things I need to figure out, and do this coming week.

- Plumbing.... This is my first venture with an overflow, and with all of this plumbing, so if there is anyone in the area who would like to mentor me and get me through this properly that would be awesome. I pay very well in beer :) I've been looking through other threads on the same tank, and there are plenty of pictures, but I'm not the handiest person in the world and figuring out every single piece, etc is where I am stuck right now..

- Sump \ Fuge.. I'm actually looking to order Eshopps Refugium II - 24 x 12 x 16 tomorrow, but wanted to make sure this will do what I need...

- Rock scape this bad boy. I'm looking for ideas as I browse, and this time will actually buy some dry rock to drill, and make a sweet looking scape. More ideas to come as we brainstorm over here.

Livestock (mainly will be transferred from the 36G when this is completely ready)

- 1x Black & 1x White Perc.
- Lawnmower Blenny
- Red Hermits
- Blue legged hermits
- Pink Pincushion Urchin (If I had my way he'd go back to the LFS because he loves to feast on the coraline, and bulldozes stuff... My wife is in LOVE with him, so he stays.)
- 2x turbo snails
- 2x Peppermint Shrimp
- 2x Emerald Crabs
- RBTA

Corals

- Torch
- Frogspawn
- 3x duncan heads (one of them is now sprouting another 6!!)
- Mushroom ricordea
- Aussie Acans
- Hammer
- Tongue Coral
- multiple galaxea heads
- Yellow\Green Birdsnest
- Toadstool

Some questions....

- The main display tank at the LFS is a bare bottom tank, and I see that is becoming increasingly popular... Any thoughts on that? I know that we'll likely want to run a DSB in the fuge, but what should I do in the main display tank. Pros\Cons to both?

- Since I will be getting some pretty heady Fiji rock to seed the base rock, should I be expecting a 6-8 week cycle just to be sure? This is one thing I ####ed up on last time, and want to make sure I take it slow on this tank... How much LR will I want in the fuge?

- I plan on cycling with no main lighting for the tank to avoid algae blooms.. I've seen conflicting views on that, any ideas?

- For the first little bit I will be running 1x BoostLED Mu Series 135W fixture, but will upgrade to 2 at some point to cover the entire tank. I am mainly an LPS guy, but will keep some SPS (middle\top of the tank). Right now in my 36G tank, my RBTA is hanging out on the sand almost 20" down and hasn't moved.. He is loving life, so the penetration of these fixtures is awesome. No question here really, just justifying buying another fixture for super light :)

- Anything else I should do in the first week, while scaping, making the fuge, etc, and getting ready?

- I have seen some people use the egg-crate, and attach live rock to it, then use that as a background to the tank.. Any thoughts on this, or is simpler better in this case?

- We have a Maroon Clown in our 6G ( I know, terrible buy, bad reccomendation from someone and I messed that one up.) He is tiny right now, and wondering because of their agressive nature, is he not suitable to be in this tank with the other 2? I wasn't sure if he had his own 'nem, if that would keep him out of trouble... If not, I have arranged a trade back to the LFS for another fish, so either way he's getting a bigger home.

- My wife loves tangs....... I don't want the tang polizia after me, but is there a suitable tang for this tank?

Some first pictures, will post more once I start getting plumbing parts, get that going, and get the fuge started.... If I can get a good handle on what I need, I will start the fuge tomorrow! I'm excited to get the plumbing part done, but am taking my sweet time to do it right..

Thanks for following along, and hoping to make this thread something spectacular to watch from start to finish!! Any help, is GREATLY appreciate!

xtlosx

OK, well that sounds much easier than I thought.. i've seen some other threads with people showing off their PVC setup in the stand, and frankly I'm lost with that :)

So pretty much, it seems relatively easy actually.. once the fuge gets here, I will have more details I guess, but appreciate it!

No problem with the Maroon, I will trade him back to the LFS for something else that will fit in the 6G. I was looking at a Yellow Watchman Goby, and another small community fish.

When the fuge gets here toward of the end of this week, I'll start worrying about a skimmer, and media for the fuge (sand, LR, etc). Should I do a DSB in the fuge? I have heard very good things about that particular method, but curious about your thoughts. What am I looking at for a return pump? Any suggestions? I might order the return pump along with the fuge, to save on shipping.

Also, anyone recommend a relatively budget skimmer for the fuge? I have heard the reef octopus are very nice... If anyone in the area has a nice in-sump skimmer for sale, let me know!

Anyways, thanks for looking, and hope to have more when the fuge gets here and plumbing begins. Hoping to have plumbing done, and water in the tank within 2 weeks.

xtlosx

Good stuff Tom... There is a LFS right by me that has the tank + stand at an awesome price! Cheaper than anywhere else in the area..

Now I'm trying to figure out what return pump to purchase so I can take advantage of free shipping with this fuge...

jcarlilesiu

I went out for a couple lbs of live rock today for the 36G tank, and came home with this, MarineLand 60G cube & stand!
These cubes are becoming more and more popular. I have one too! Great quality tank from marineland, and nice pickup.

This is my first venture with an overflow, and with all of this plumbing, so if there is anyone in the area who would like to mentor me and get me through this properly that would be awesome.
Plumbing isn't too hard, and there are multiple ways to accomplish it. There are a few decisions to make; hard or soft pipe and routing. Internal or external return pump?

If you are going to go hard pipe, try to limit the amount of 45 degree elbows, and try to completely avoid the 90 degree ones. Those will really slow down the flow of the return pump.

Be sure to include all of the necessary components to ensure maintenance like ball valves, disconnect unions, etc.

Sump \ Fuge.. I'm actually looking to order Eshopps Refugium II - 24 x 12 x 16 tomorrow, but wanted to make sure this will do what I need...
Sump is up to you. Just like the tank, the bigger the better. The more volume you can pack in there, the more stable your tank will be. Keep in mind that you will need to fit quite a bit of equipment in there, so that particular model might get a bit tight for a fuge. If thats what fits under your tank, then thats what fits.

For what its worth, I have a 150 gallon cube and don't run a fuge. I wanted to dedicate myspace in my sump for equipment. I may add on in the future if I can find some space.

The main display tank at the LFS is a bare bottom tank, and I see that is becoming increasingly popular... Any thoughts on that? I know that we'll likely want to run a DSB in the fuge, but what should I do in the main display tank. Pros\Cons to both?
I don't know enough about this to comment. I run a DSB.

Since I will be getting some pretty heady Fiji rock to seed the base rock, should I be expecting a 6-8 week cycle just to be sure.
Its hard to predict how long the cycle will last. They are all different. Depending on the condition of the live rock you get, how well cured, and how much ammonia exists will determine the overall cycle time.

As you are aware, this is the most critical part of the set up, and can be a costly mistake if rushed. Keep testing and keep feeding an ammonia source until you are sure that hte bio-load is established. Tests will answer that, not any set duration of time.

I plan on cycling with no main lighting for the tank to avoid algae blooms.. I've seen conflicting views on that, any ideas?
Lights are not necessary when cycling unless the live rock you have has some macro algea or other life on it. Keeping the lights on for normal periods during the cycle can save all of these freebies.

Anything else I should do in the first week, while scaping, making the fuge, etc, and getting ready?
Set your rock work first, and then if you make the decision to add a DSB, install that second. That way, the rocks are not setting on top of the sand and if anything borrows under them, you don't risk a collapse.

Test test test.

Once you are sure the cycle has finished, do a large water change and you should be good to go with adding a small amount of stock.

Remember to continue to add stock slowly as the nitrifying bacteria needs time to catch back up with the load without starting another mini cycle.

My wife loves tangs....... I don't want the tang polizia after me, but is there a suitable tang for this tank?
Tomini Tangs stay pretty small and typically required a minimum of 55 gallons or so.

Thanks for following along, and hoping to make this thread something spectacular to watch from start to finish!! Any help, is GREATLY appreciate!
Welcome to the forum. Keep us up to date on any changes, and we will see how we can help!

Crooks

Kole tang

Change that outlet to gfci now while you can still get in there and do it easy.

Plumbing can be as easy or hard as you want to make it.

xtlosx

I was just curious, and absolutely not going with a tang upon further reading. Thanks for the great comments.

As far as the scape the how I'm doing that.... the idea is we're going to build a wall from the base of the tank, to somewhere high up on the overflow box.... From that wall somewhere, I'm going to get a bunch of base rock, use rods and made a rounded arch that basically goes from the wall, into the middle of the tank, so a hanging arch that doesn't go to the sand. The other arch might go down to the sand, not quite sure yet, but want to make this a dramatic rock-scape as it sits in our kitchen.

Like someone said, last time I wasn't patient, this time I am taking my dear sweet time and doing it RIGHT! The Sump & the return pump is on the way. I got a Rio 3100 for the return pump... Now just need to figure out which protein skimmer would be right for this tank. Reef Octopus? Maybe the Skimmer FastRC is trying to sell on the hardware board?

jcarlilesiu

Do you people who are recommending tangs realize that there is only 2ft of horizontal swimming space with absolutely no rock work int the tank?
I have two tangs in my tank which is only 3' long and they are perfectly happy. Tangs can get large, and as such need quite a bit of water volume, but they aren't huge swimmers like a trigger is. Mostly they are picking off of the rocks and leisurely moving around the tank.

You are right though that a 60 gallon is probably too small for most tangs, with exception of the chevron and maybe the tomini if they were the only "large" fish.

Just my opinion.

xtlosx

Alright, no tangs in this tank! Not a problem, just throwing the question out there.

Sump should ship today, as well as the return pump... Plumbing will happen this weekend.. Should be able to get the parts sometime this week and at least start planning.

xtlosx

Wasn't commenting on your post, was commenting on Jake's sorry for cluttering your thread. :banghead:

What return pump did you go with?

I decided to go with a Rio 3100. Another reefer I have chatted with, has the same sump, tank, stand, and return pump, so following along on his successful build..

Now I'm trying to decide whether I do flexi piping for the return\drain or do hard PVC.... The other guy did the flexi piping, from the bulkheads in the overflow, to a PVC column he had in the stand that had nozzles to control the flow rate.. Thinking of doing that actually, seems logical.

xtlosx

Wow, a 3100 is a lot of turn over for a 60g (I ran a 1700 in my 55) but you can always throttle it back with a ball valve if you want.

I am all for the Spa-Flex PVC as it is what I am currently using in my build.

Yup, that is the idea.. the plans I am working with do have ball valves to restrict flow and make it optimal for my setup.... I can't wait to get started with all of this.. having this tank just sit in my kitchen is driving me nuts.

For a skimmer, I'm looking at Reef Octopus

Another skimmer, seems like it might work better with the particular sump I ordered... Vertex Skimmer

The way I understand this is, the drain comes down through the filter sock, then the "dirty" water is in the first chamber. I will put the skimmer in that first chamber, and where should the output from the skimmer be? I'm wondering if it makes sense to put it into the second chamber, or back into the first chamber? The reason being, I'm looking at doing live rock, chaeto, and DSB in the middle chamber of my sump..... I'm looking to have the return on the other end of the sump, with my rio 3100..

I'll have more details obviously when I get the sump, return, etc, but wanted to prepare myself for the skimmer. The Vertex looks nice and would fit my needs.

xtlosx

Alright well, little change of plans... Sump availability is non-exist for this particular for the next 2-3 weeks and that doesn't work for me....

So I found someone local aquacave that has the following which will work just fine for me.Fuge

Skimmer

The first chamber is a hair smaller than the Eshopps sump, but will have to live with it, and found this skimmer that fits nice and snugly, so all is well! Can't wait to pick it up today and will post some pictures when it's all under the stand.

Woohoo!

jcarlilesiu

Wait, did you just say that tangs aren't huge swimmers? That is completely incorrect. Have you ever seen a tang in the wild?
In no instance is any aquarium ever going to provide a similar enviornment as the open ocean, nor the amount of swimming space. Even if fish migrate, that doesn't necessarily mean that in order to be kept in captivity that they must have the same ability which is impossible to provide. If that were the case, our tanks would not be acceptable to many smaller species of fish who will migrate some distances around reefs.

Even the largest of aquariums do not allow seasonal migration which in anyway represets that of the ocean. If that is the intent, then I don't see how an 8' tank offers any more "realistic" enviornment than a 3' tank if the ocean is the standard.

A full grown tang of any variety is too large for your 3' long tank. Even the often very conservative Live Aquaria minimum tank sizes will not recommend a tang for a tank this size.
This is purely an opinion Skull. I disagree.

The tomini tang is recommended by Liveaquaria to live in a minimum 70 gallon tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+334&pcatid=334

Secondly. We aren't talking about "full grown" tangs. How many full grown tangs have you seen in aquariums? 18" naso's aren't all that common. We are talking about juvinile tangs.

If after years of owning the animal which then starts to outgrow the tank, I am sure the owner would either give up the fish or upgrade the size of tank.

jcarlilesiu

Wow, a 3100 is a lot of turn over for a 60g (I ran a 1700 in my 55) but you can always throttle it back with a ball valve if you want.

I am all for the Spa-Flex PVC as it is what I am currently using in my build.
If you do throttle it back with a ball valve, be sure to include a T connector to have a pipe run back into the sump. Reducing the flow of the pump with a ball valve puts unwanted strain on the motor. Providing a T connection with an additional pipe will return some of the water back to your sump while allowing the pump to freely push the amount of water that it was designed to.

jcarlilesiu

I guess you are going to do what you are going to do. But as Pufferpunk (and many many marine experts) has said in the past, if your fish can't grow to full size comfortably in your aquarium then your aquarium is too small for the fish that you are keeping.
I agree with the point that fish should be housed in aquariums which prevent shortening their life. Stunting fish growth is largely a myth, where as shortening their life due to unsatisfactory conditions is more common of fish put in captive enviornments.

However, there is no magic number. There is no set system which determines the optimum tank size. Many variables contribute. You could have a huge tank for a fish, and poor water quality will have the same long term effect as putting the animal in a tank that is too small and stressful.

Not trying to argue with you, just that providing information on the forum as an absolute fact is typically not accurate, especially in this hobby. Tank size per animal is largely approximated and determined by somewhat subjective reasoning.

My blonde naso and salfin are fine in the 3' long tank. In a couple of years, we intend on upgrading to a 9' long 450 gallon. If I didn't think they are ok, I wouldn't keep them in there, but they are young and small.

xtlosx

Alright everyone, so new updates!! I just got back from picking up my Sump, and Skimmer...

I decided to go with the following Fuge & Skimmer.

I came home, unpacked everything, and got the filter sock in, skimmer fit (tight snug squeeze, but works!) and everything is sitting underneath the stand awaiting plumbing.

Thanks for the t-fitting suggestion, I am taking that into account, and will put up a schematic, or a dry plumbing picture when I'm done to get some advice. When I get to that point, I will need to figure out how to turn it all on the first time, where to have water, how much, etc to make sure it all goes well. Remember, this is my first fuge & overflow setup, so I am a total newb, but very excited :)

Now onto the good stuff, pictures!!