8G Nano Desktop Tank

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
..just because.

So I was in AquaPros a month back and saw this 8 gallon desktop tank AIO with skimmer, light, and return pump for a very intriguing price point.

Since I'm in the process of taking down my 60g shallow reef, I have a show piece rock that will not fit in my new display that I wanted to find a good home for.

Intended Inhabitants:
-Goby + Pistol
-Small CUC

Here is the build process of my nano project! Let me know your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Stand build.

Since this tank is an AIO, my only requirement was a place to store my ATO reservoir (1g water jug) and an outlet strip.

Here is my custom stand after a coat of paint

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
The water tight test and breaking in the mini skimmer (this thing is hilarious but looks like it works very well)!

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Stand finished and holding the tank.

The show piece of GSP Rock (never thought I would say those words together in a sentence!)

Paulip

I think the GSP rock is a great idea for a nano. It will highlight the more interesting corals and prevent green algae from taking hold.

Staring a nano with dry rock is a terrible handicap.

Bommie

I like the idea of having one piece of LR and one type of coral in a nano tank. Nice setup!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
looking forward to seeing it with the shrimp and goby
So funny story about that.. I purchased a melunarus wrasse for my 120 gallon a few months ago and in preparation for moving over my two blood red shrimps, I purchased a large feeder shrimp to make sure the wrasse wouldn't kill the blood reds.

Turns out, the wrasse is a bully for the shrimp and he kept forcing him into the overflow and clogging my full siphon. After getting him out twice, I moved him and my blood red shrimps to the 8g nano for now.

Not sure the goby and pistol would be too much at this time.

Illinijoe

TeamCR
So funny story about that.. I purchased a melunarus wrasse for my 120 gallon a few months ago and in preparation for moving over my two blood red shrimps, I purchased a large feeder shrimp to make sure the wrasse wouldn't kill the blood reds.

Turns out, the wrasse is a bully for the shrimp and he kept forcing him into the overflow and clogging my full siphon. After getting him out twice, I moved him and my blood red shrimps to the 8g nano for now.

Not sure the goby and pistol would be too much at this time.

wonder if anyone has a calculator for how many shrimp = 1 fish in a nano setup. I had 3 fish and a shrimp in a 12 gallon. also would be curious if the pistol shrimp could get along with the other shrimp in a nano.

Claylewis

Awesome! I may want to pick your brains about it if that's alright. I'm not happy with my stand and I was thinking of building something that looks a lot like the one you made.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Awesome! I may want to pick your brains about it if that's alright. I'm not happy with my stand and I was thinking of building something that looks a lot like the one you made.
Sure thing. Let me know what questions you have.