aKay09's 29 Gallon Reef

aKay09

Hey, everyone I'm kinda new here. I've bought a few corals from people on here in the past but I'm not sure I've ever posted. Trying to be a little more active in the hobby so thought I'd post up my tank. Don't see a lot of nanos on here so it's something a bit different.

Started the tank back on January 2nd 2015 and the tank went through a move in 2017. It's the first reef tank I've really had and it's been a mostly fun and positive experience. I've had a few fish not make it and a few coral losses as well but no crashes yet hmmm *knocks on wood*.

Equipment:
  • Light - 24in Photon V2
  • Skimmer - Hydor Nano
  • Return Pump - Rio 1400
  • Overflow Eshopps HOB Nano
  • Powerhead - Jebao RW4 ( I think)
  • Sump - Custom 10G with custom algae scrubber
Livestock:
  • 1 Clownfish, 1 Black Clownfish
  • 1 Yellow Clown Goby
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 3 Blue Leg Hermits
  • Misc Snails
LPS:​
  • Purple Tip Frogspawn
  • Hammer
  • Duncan
  • Neon Green Candy Canes
  • Acans
  • Purple Blasto
  • Red + Green Blasto
  • Green Goniopora
SPS:​
  • Purple Montipora Cap
  • Purple Encrusting Montipora
  • Purple Digitata
  • Forest Fire Digitata
  • Green Birdsnest
  • A blueish cyphastrea
  • Green porities
Softies and Anemones:​
  • Green Sinularia
  • Neon Green Toadstool
  • Kenya Tree
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Assorted Zoas
  • Assorted Mushrooms
  • A bit of GSP
  • Purple Gorgonian
  • 3 Different Rock Flower Nems

Pictures from over the years, hope you enjoy!

2463246424652469IMG_20190222_132743_095.jpgIMG_20190303_175010_619.jpgIMG_20190409_214223_934.jpg2470

Last edited:

aKay09

Looks great. Nice work! Cool how your crab lives in the Duncan’s?
Thanks! Yeah he lived in there for awhile but then one day disappeared and I haven't seen him in a few months sadly. Currently my clowns actually hang out in there, which is pretty fun to watch ha.2475

aKay09

Thanks! I need to get a more updated shot as my birdsnest started STNing and so I had to frag it up. Going to use the space though to add some different color sticks.

Sailfin11

Nice! I also have a 29 Gallon nano. Do you like the depth/height ratio? Sometimes I wish I had gone with a 40 breeder instead.

aKay09

Nice! I also have a 29 Gallon nano. Do you like the depth/height ratio? Sometimes I wish I had gone with a 40 breeder instead.
Thanks! Well I like the width and height I really wish is was deeper front to back but do I like it more than a 20L just because of the extra room up top. I would much rather have a 40 breeder but I went super cheap with everything when I got the tank 5 years ago and now I am in an apartment with a 20G limit so I am already pushing the limits there.

For my next tank I will either go with a 40 breeder or I really like the dimensions on the Cadlights 70 but obviously a good bit more money.

Do you have a build thread?

Sailfin11

Thanks! Well I like the width and height I really wish is was deeper front to back but do I like it more than a 20L just because of the extra room up top. I would much rather have a 40 breeder but I went super cheap with everything when I got the tank 5 years ago and now I am in an apartment with a 20G limit so I am already pushing the limits there.

For my next tank I will either go with a 40 breeder or I really like the dimensions on the Cadlights 70 but obviously a good bit more money.

Do you have a build thread?
I don't have a thread for my 29 gallon, but I am in the process of starting a 75-gallon build, so I think I may create a build thread on Reef2Reef or here!